Should Ileostomy Patients Have Regular Checkups?

Replies
Views
Cappabarstar
May 12, 2016 12:32 pm
I'm just curious...I've had an ileostomy since 2005. I've had partial bowel obstructions here and there along with ct scans, mri's, and X-rays. But is a person supposed to have some type of yearly or every 5 years, whatever, checkup, like a colonoscopy to make sure everything is all good?  I had my surgery at the Mayo and when their done with ya, they kinda send ya off to figure things out on your own. At least that was in my case. I have both a ileostomy and a urostomy. I have lots of docs too. Nephrologist, Urologist, OBGYN, Etc.  Should I have a GI doc?  Thanks in advance for your help/advice. 😊  Shannon<

>
Past Member
May 12, 2016 10:30 pm
Hi Shannon--I wanted to thank you for the data about Cymed--I've sent for some samples. As far as follow up--seems to be the way of the surgeon, cut ya, gut ya, send ya on your way. Yes, follow up check ups are supposed to be necessary. I've an ileostomy for 20 months now and my surgeon has yet to inform me of this. But then, as he says "I am not your doctor !!" He doesn't seem to want to have anything to do with me unless there is a possibility of another surgery ! But do find a doctor in the field that is relative--i.e. gastroenterologist, Urologist, etc. they should be able to keep you informed. I have researched a bit and if you still have a rectum, anus a colonoscopy is recommended to detect any possible pre cancerous changes. I don't know about anything else. Good luck.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Cappabarstar
May 13, 2016 12:46 am
Thanks for your response! I do have a Urologist, so I will ask him next time if he thinks I should see a GI. I'll keep everyone posted! Hopefully I've been doing everything right so far. ????