Treating SIBO with an Ileostomy - Experiences?

Replies
Views
Slhall600
May 07, 2022 9:05 pm

Has anyone treated SIBO (small intestinal bacteria overgrowth) with an ileostomy?  If so how?  Thx!

nehamashira
May 14, 2022 6:36 am

Hi there! I am sorry you are going through this. I am wondering if I am experiencing the same thing as well. What are your symptoms? I find that I cannot eat ANYTHING, but particularly anything that has honey, sugar, etc (high carb content) without experiencing an almost immediate outpouring of pain, gas and diarrhea. Especially in the morning. I have an ileostomy and have had it since 2000. However it has only been in the past couple of years that I have noticed a dramatic increase in the gas in particular. I have always had a relatively high effluent output. I tried using probiotics, and my doc did give me a course of flagyl at one point. I suppose I need to go back and revisit this with her. At first I thought that I was developing a wheat intolerance, but this is much more generalized. 

I am a nurse, and will do some research on this. Let me know what you are experiencing. There has got to be an answer. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.