Emptying Methodology - Poll

Replies
Views
txess
Jun 04, 2012 7:07 pm
As an ileo I find cuffing the end of tail of the pouch makes for a cleaner, easier emptying process.

What is your emptying methodology? Do you pinch the tail open and let it drain out, or do you cuff the tail before emptying?
eddie
Jun 04, 2012 8:20 pm
I am a cuff women also!

eddie
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Juuust_James
Jun 04, 2012 10:44 pm
no bonus points awarded for making a huge production out of it, so I get in and out of there as quickly and easily as i can! I trear off two pieces of toilet tissue -3 squares each and set aside within easy reach before i remove the clip. The I remove the clip let it empty, quickly wipe the outside of the tail, then raise it up high and wipe the inside about 3 inches in up -snap the clip back on and im out of there!

Login to see image

txess
Jun 05, 2012 4:53 pm
Thx for the reply eddie.

Juuust Jim, I agree! My goal is to get the job done as quickly and as efficiently as possible! Thx for describing your method. Cuffing the tail before emptying makes it much easier and faster for me to empty, clean it up, and get out of there!
Juuust_James
Jun 06, 2012 12:11 am
ok, but i bet there are times when if the bag is completely full that its not possible to hold back the flow to cuff it once you remove the clip or loosen the velcro(if you use that type enclosure) now and then i wake at night or the morning, my bag is so full its even hard to remove the clip without it getting dirty cause of the pressure from air or the weight of the fecal matter.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Green Eyed Lady
Jun 06, 2012 12:49 am
OK, I'm confused. What is cuffing or not cuffing? I wear a 2-piece Hollister New Image ostomy set (wafer and pouch) that has a lock 'n roll design and I never need to clip anything off...I just wipe the tail off, and wrap it back up until the "velcro-type" closure clicks. Then I am assured of a perfect seal...I gave up using the clip versions years ago because I found it too hard to try and juggle the contents from the bag while having to hold onto the clip so that it didn't fall in the toilet or onto the floor. Do I have this right about needing to put a clip on the tail? If I'm right, would you consider looking at other ostomy products to cut some of the time in the bathroom out? If I'm wrong, let me know. Meanwhile, even with the Hollister stuff, I still have to drain the bag manually...wouldn't it be nice if there was a little portable vacuum to pull all of that junk out of the bag for you? Now, who wants to help me design a product and get a patent on it???

Login to see image

Juuust_James
Jun 06, 2012 2:16 am

I hold my Clip in my Teeth -I'm the other way around, I used the Holister Lock-n-Roll pouches for a few yrs but at least 3 times i had a mess go down my leg when the material from my Flannel Lounge pants stuck to the velcro -cause it to rip open when i stood up. I found myself constantly reaching down and crimping it to make SURE it was securely fastened -so after my latest accident about 6 months ago, I went back to the clip enclosed pouches -which Ive never had an accident with.
ron in mich
Jun 06, 2012 3:21 pm
hi all, sorry greeneyed lady your invention sounds like too much of a hassle, i,m like justjim i unclip my pouch and drain it roll some tissue up like a stick and clean the inside of the tail and i,m done. in and out in about 2 min. In the 26yrs. of having an ostomy i,ve only had one clip fail and that was from using it too long.  ron in mich.
notexpectingthis
Jun 06, 2012 10:33 pm
I have an ileo & I cuff as well  - I like that tail nice & clean so this is my method. Don't like the velcro roll - just never seems to get all the way clean to me.
Opa Ray
Jun 11, 2012 6:04 pm
My method is the following: I stand up in the front of the toilet, roll down my Hollister flaps, squeeze to open. secure the opening with a double piece of toilet paper, sit down on the toilet and let it run out. Than I stand up again and poor water into the bag, once again securing  the opening with a piece of toilet paper and the bag will be nice and clean. I have not have a failure for many months. When traveling I take a little medicine bottle with me. When visiting I usually clean the bag as described by some as:   using toilet paper rolled up and clean the bag as far in as possible. My method at home serves me well also when travelling  and it has made me more confidant and experience very few problems. Regards to you all. Opa Ray
spiritgirl65
Jun 11, 2012 6:51 pm
I often wake up with an oversized pouch, full of air and feces. I burp my bag, then go to empty it.  No problems.  

Also, I also use the cuff method and have had no problems.  I've been an illeo since 1998.

Thanks for "listening".

Spiritgirl65
djm_2010
Jun 11, 2012 11:34 pm
Hello! I use the convatek 2 piece system and use the clips. I find it to be more secure and I'm confident that I would ot have any accidents. I usually drain by flushing it with water first, I attached a small hose like system into the plumbing of my toilet, then drain it, clean my bag until its clear and dry the tail with toilet paper. At the endo of the day I even wash my bag with cetaphil cleansing soap to make it clean. I use a clear bag so I can really see whether my bag is clean and so that I could also clean my stoma while the bag is attached. I haven't experienced any leakage, since I see my poo (this still grosses me out occasionally) and drain even with small amounts of poo. I change my bag every 7 days and have been a colostomate for 19 months. I find that placing water in the bag before draining gives me a cleaner bag. When I go out, I have a small squirt water bottle and use it to clean it in public toilets and gives me no problem. I also use a classic wrap from ostomysecrets for proper support of my ostomy. Take care and Godbless

Login to see image

tim1948
Jun 12, 2012 2:00 am
The longer I go with my bag the fewer "accidents" I have,  but don't they just make you want to

Cry when they happen?  Poop draining down your leg...OMG  Thank God none have happened in a public place like a restaurant or supermarket.  But I had to drive 30 miles from my workplace covered in feces  to my home to strip off my pants and jump in the shower.  UUHHHGGG
joanmarie
Jun 12, 2012 4:28 am
I do it the same as Jim.
b 4 life
Jun 12, 2012 9:42 am
I  kneel in front of the loo and have tissue ready. empty  wipe clean and check for splashing round the bowl and wipe clean i flush and wait to check its all flushed away. sometimes i go back in to check ive flushed as i have forgot befor  

Login to see image

.and when i chang the whole appliance i change over the sink and make sure im all prepared with plenty of wipes. plz tell what is cuffing

Login to see image

Juuust_James
Jun 13, 2012 2:42 am

"Cuffing" is when you roll-over the end of the bag before you empty just like you do with the sleeve of a sweater or long-sleeve shirt if it is too long . reason I think those who do it is, it keeps the very bottom edge dry and makes it so the waste wont wrap-aroung and get on the outside on the end of the pouch.
rosebudd44
Jun 29, 2012 5:38 am
Hi, I just stand over the toilet and open the neck of my bag,empty,wipe inside as deep as I can,roll it up and fasten the velcro and done in a minute (usually lol). I use hollister 2 piece system. I hate clips there a pain in the butt

Login to see image