Tips for Clicking Two-Piece Systems Together?

Replies
Views
elledubuque
Jun 21, 2022 5:52 am

Hi friends!

I'm a little over two weeks in and trying to figure out the best system / company for supplies.

So far, after trying some basic one-piece Hollister products, I've learned I need a convex bag due to the flatness of my stoma and was having issues with pancaking and leaking.

I've also learned that I don't really care for the materials of the Hollister bags - Coloplast bags are more inconspicuous with their level of opaqueness (makes me feel less conscious of it showing - one less worry) and still having a viewing window to check it all out. I also watched a video today and learned that as long as I cover the filter, water will basically run off of it in the shower and I can pat it off afterwards. Others suggested just using a hairdryer on Hollister bags, which also sounds like a sucky addition to the morning routine. So excited to try this out tomorrow and skip the Saran Wrap and medical tape (30% success rate, ugh) method.

I also know I'm lucky to be a lower output person. I'm dumping (pun intended) 1-2 times a day. I HATE emptying a bag for so many reasons. Today I realized I could go with a two-piece system with closed-ended bags and toss them at empty time. I have to say this gives me a lot of relief because it will make this so much easier, especially when I have to empty at my very busy teaching job this fall. I was trying to figure out how I would ever be able to pull off emptying in a ten-minute passing period and getting to class early enough to be ready to genuinely welcome students without feeling overwhelmed and flustered.

So now I come to my question!

I have a Coloplast two-piece locking system on me right now and I like it, but it's a little tricky to click the two pieces together.... Anyone have tips/tricks on this? I scoured the web and couldn't find any real person advice.

Also, given what I've stated above, is anyone using a different two-piece closed system that you like? What and why?

Sorry for the length, but I thought it might help other newbies to know what I've discovered so far as well as getting some good advice from you seasoned pros. I've attached a pic of my pup because she's cute.

Happy Monday!

Elle D.

Login to see image

AlexT
Jun 21, 2022 6:13 am

Just remember with a closed system, you have to have a bag with you pretty much 24/7. Oh, the Saran Wrap thing is worthless IMO.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Jun 21, 2022 9:42 am

Welcome Elledubuque. I use the Coloplast 2-piece locking system and I just start at the bottom (hook the bottom into place) and run my fingers along the edge (both sides) moving upward and they meet at the top and it clicks in place. Then I lock it. Sometimes I do need to push harder. But I do feel very secure that they are snug.

Good luck with everything. This forum is great with lots of helpful folks.

Login to see image

Past Member
Jun 21, 2022 10:54 am
Reply to AlexT

Maybe try Glad Wrap... You might be glad you did.

AlexT
Jun 21, 2022 1:10 pm
Reply to Anonymous

Really?

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Past Member
Jun 21, 2022 1:11 pm
Reply to AlexT

LOL Guess I will stick to my day job.

ron in mich
Jun 21, 2022 1:47 pm

Welcome to the site Elle, it sounds like you've taken control of your ostomy and that's good being only 2 weeks in. Have you looked into irrigation? You might be able to only wear a stoma cap after irrigation.

elledubuque
Jun 21, 2022 2:36 pm
Reply to AlexT

I've got three bags packed with supplies! One for my office when I get back to school, one for my car, and one for my hubby's truck. I'm learning I'll need to be like a squirrel storing nuts for winter!

elledubuque
Jun 21, 2022 2:37 pm
Reply to Anonymous

Thanks for the advice! I'll try that method when I change today! Not gonna lie, I'm a little nervous I won't be able to pull it off! Fingers crossed....

elledubuque
Jun 21, 2022 2:41 pm
Reply to ron in mich

I haven't heard of this yet... I'll talk to my nurse this week and do some research.
I'm really wanting to settle into my routine so this whole process can be like putting on a seatbelt instead of feeling like a production every day.

AlexT
Jun 21, 2022 3:13 pm

Also, being so new, your output will more than likely change as you fully heal, your eating habits change, etc.

Bliss
Jun 21, 2022 6:13 pm

I am a newbie too, 6 weeks in. I found that if I rub a little water or lubricant on the Coloplast hard rim before I snap them together, it helps them snap easier. You could still use a drainable bag instead of a closed-end bag and dump the bags if that works better for you. If you did this, you would also have the ability to drain the bag in an emergency or if you don't have another bag with you for some reason. I still haven't decided which bag system I like best. I find pros and cons with all of them. I wish I could take parts from each of them and design my own system. :-) Another thing that I have tried is using flushable liners, which I find to be less messy. So far, I have only tried them with the Hollister two-piece system, and they work okay. I will probably try irrigation, but my surgeon said to wait for about 3 months before I do.

elledubuque
Jun 22, 2022 6:53 am
Reply to Anonymous

Hey there!

Well, I had my new Coloplast two-piece on for about 24 hours and realized I hadn't had any movement with all the food I'd eaten.

When I took off the bag tonight, my poo was basically trapped on top of my stoma and it wasn't possible to just use my finger to wipe it away as the ring from the two-piece bag is more like a rigid barrier.

Can you tell me if you encountered this and have any ideas? I really want to use a two-piece so I can just toss bags since I only use 1-2.

Thanks for any advice!

elledubuque
Jun 22, 2022 7:22 am

It does appear that the bag is just vacuuming together. I just changed it and added some lubricant and gauze as I read on another site.

My stoma is pretty level which I am realizing sucks....

Riva
Jun 24, 2022 10:38 pm

Welcome. Education is key on this new journey of yours. I suggest you check out UOAA, United Ostomy Association of America. It's our national organization. Also, Ostomy101.com. You will learn about foods, blockages, skin care, clothing, ostomy products, travel, activities, and a whole host of other tricks of the trade. You might also want to check out a local support group near you. Just remember you are not alone on this new journey of yours. Best of luck.

betsyb
Jun 26, 2022 4:16 pm

Hi, I'm pretty much a newbie too - only 6 months of so many trial errors. I'm very short-waisted and prefer the smaller disposable bags during the day and the larger drains at night. I absolutely hate emptying a pouch but since I started to use coconut oil as a lubricant, I find that the pouch practically cleans itself.

Convatec pouches have a peek-a-boo window to view the stoma, which is good for me. Also, a little gauze helps dry around a pouch after hot tubbing really quickly.

Good luck.

gingerlee54
Jul 02, 2022 4:00 am
Reply to Anonymous

Hey there, I'm a newbie too, enjoy everyone's comments and learning slowly but persistently, determined and never want to go back to the life I dealt with for 40 years....So onward Christian soldier

Past Member
Jul 20, 2022 1:52 pm

Hi, I only had mine since April this year. I switched from a basic Hollister one piece to a Convatec moldable one piece. The adhesive seems so much better and I don't need to use flange extenders which I always did with the Hollister. There's a 2-piece moldable which I'm currently trying out as a free sample. I did find I needed to press down a bit to get it to click together, but I understand Convatec do an 'accordion' baseplate to make this easier. I'm going to try that next.

w30bob
Aug 05, 2022 2:33 pm

Hey all you newbies............welcome aboard. I just saw this post, as I find finding things on this "new improved" format a bit difficult, if not impossible, but I clicked on something......and this one came up!

So with hindsight being 20/20........here's mine. When you're new at being an ostomate you're concerned with preventing leaks and not being in any embarrassing situations. I sure was too. You also might be a bit intimidated by the wide array of products out there........I know I was. You also might be a bit reluctant to try different products in fear of making things worse. I was.

But if I could go back and start new........I'd try a lot more products right off the bat to find out what works and what works better. You'll get lots of advice on here with people saying what works for them........but they're not you. So some of that advice, well good intentioned, you'll find useless. You need to try things for yourself.........and I'd suggest you keep notes of what works, what doesn't and why. Yeah, it's a bit of a pain to write stuff down, but you'll thank yourself down the road a few years from now.

As for getting things to try, the easiest way is to check with your local hospital and see if they have an ostomy support group. Most do. They meet once a month or maybe more frequently, depending on the number of ostomates in your area. Everyone donates the supplies they don't need so when you go to the meetings you'll be able to look at hundreds of ostomy products and take home with you those you want to try. You of course can go online and ask for samples from each company.........after you spend forever pouring through their catalogs, finding what you think might work, and then having it sent. Only to find out some of the things you asked for don't work and then when you call for more samples are told they can only send you so many in a certain timeframe. Not all are like that, but my point is if you go to the meeting you'll be talking to an ostomy nurse (usually leading the meeting) who can guide you to the products that would most likely work for you........and you can try them tomorrow instead of waiting for samples to be delivered.

Do whatever works for you, I'm just letting you know there are usually local ostomate get-togethers where you can learn from each other and try different products easily. But don't be afraid to experiment and try things. Eventually you'll get comfortable with your ostomy and learn to laugh off even the most embarrassing situations. But building up that confidence takes time and some bad experiences. But in the end it'll be just fine. Kinda has to be!

;O)

Bob

OU812
Aug 09, 2022 6:18 pm
Reply to w30bob

Very well said, Bob. I'm going on 4 years with my ileostomy and while most days I feel like I finally have a handle on all of this, your suggestion about joining a local ostomy support group really spoke to me. I'm definitely going to look into that. Thanks!

gingerlee54
Aug 23, 2022 8:16 pm
Reply to elledubuque

I use the Coloplast system - the Convex FLIP. My stoma protrudes a little bit, although I have a small raised area at 12 o'clock. So, I have found that the star-shaped flange - the flip - works best for me. I like how it locks.