Barrier Ring Issues with Heat and Activity

Replies
Views
Texastom2
Jun 30, 2022 11:45 pm

Is anyone having issues with their ring barrier "melting out of the skin barrier"? I have used a 2-pc system going on 5 years now. Within the past year I have been experiencing melt downs when the outside temp is 85 degrees & up. Especially when I play golf, work in the yard, wash our cars, etc. I called the manufacturer and asked if they have changed their manufacturing process or ingredients used to make the ring barriers. Of course, they said no and acted like I am the only one having these issues. I used to get 4 to 5 days of use per change in the first 4 years. Now I am lucky to get 4 days. Are there other systems designed for the active lifestyle? Would like to hear from anyone that has experienced the same issues.

texastom

Mayoman
Jul 01, 2022 12:19 am

Hi ,  I have noticed that the  Sticky bit is getting thinner and thinner over the years . The  "Eakin Seal "  helps a lot with this problem  , it more than Doubles the thickness so the " Stinky " will not eat through the  barrier as quickly . I found that the really hot weather makes mine stick even better but it   also Thins out the Sticky bit and makes the whole thing thinner .  You should try the Eakin  4 Inch  pre-cut   seal  under  the sticky part  that's attached to the Bag . My Nephew works at  Hollister here in Ireland  and the newer type Bags are  pretty useless ...for most people . The older Models are better  . I use a One Piece  Hollister with the Concave Wafer , curves inward for a tighter seal and has a firm plastic part  over the Wafer to hold it tight into the Stoma .

Best of luck ,  Magoo   ☘😎👍

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Texastom2
Jul 01, 2022 9:52 pm
Reply to Mayoman

Thanks Magoo! I now use a Hollister 2 pc system. It has always been fine. Just in the last year have I noticed they don't last as long and when it gets hot the wafer melts out of the skin barrier. I had an ostomy nurse when I first had my ostomy. We tried several different styles & brands and at that time the 2pc pouch system seemed to work the best. I'll try the Eakin Seal. I am ready to place an order soon and want to try something different.

Texastom