Dealing with Sliding Flanges Due to Weight Gain

Replies
Views
Past Member
May 31, 2010 8:24 pm
I havent worked in few months and put on some weight (belly) now i can get 2 days out of my flange it tends to slide down toward my feet anybody have this problem its becoming annoying and expensive
lottagelady
May 31, 2010 9:17 pm
Hi, D ..... always! Have you tried a belt?

Big hugs

Rach xxx
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

bikerboy
Jun 01, 2010 2:08 am
I love the hollister floating flange Ive gotten at least 3 weeks out of every one for a year now .And I dont have to use the paste.I do use the belt tho.

greg
Gus
Jun 01, 2010 5:28 am
3 WEEKKS??? Thats amazing, 4 - 5 days on average but 3 weeks,, truly a miracle.

Login to see image

Past Member
Jun 01, 2010 12:36 pm
hey Rach yep use a belt thanks though, BikerBoy that is amazing I find after a few days the bag itself starts toget and ordour it seems to penetrate the bag itself so to get that long out of a unit is amazing !!!

Login to see image

I will have to try them although I dont like the way they lock their pouch to the flange

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
lottagelady
Jun 01, 2010 1:13 pm
Yeah - 3 weeks is incredible! I tried the floating flange, but I keep pulling the 2 piece systems apart, which ain't good! xx
janice
Jun 01, 2010 9:44 pm
three WEEKS????[quote="bikerboy"]I love the hollister floating flange Ive gotten at least 3 weeks out of every one for a year now .And I dont have to use the paste.I do use the belt tho.

greg[/quote]
mama
Jun 02, 2010 9:56 am
HI HAVE YOU TRIED THE ON POUCH SYSTEM I LOVE IT NO FUSS.
Past Member
Jun 02, 2010 11:50 am
Mama whats the on pouch system?????? I sent for some floating Flange samples still not keen on their pouch attachment for releasing gas though
Mitzie
Jun 02, 2010 4:07 pm
I haven't had much luck with pouches with a gas filter...... anything watery can seep through (in or out) YUK.  I control gas by taking an over the counter gas medicine ...it's called Gas-X and there are less expensive generic ones -- basically simethodone(SP?).  One tiny pill in the morning usually sets me up for all day but on nasty days will take one at noon and another at dinner.  Before a meal is better.  Always something isn't it?

Login to see image

Mndwlkr
Jun 02, 2010 9:45 pm
I haven't had any success with filters either. I believe I've tried 'em all. Anything good you might have found since your last posting on this problem?  I (along with quite a few more folks) would like to know! The latest "New and Improved" filter by Hollister still didn't do the job. I've been a design engineer for 30 years now; my opinion is that these bag guys are just paying lip service to this problem. I might have to "break out the old drawing board". Peace and strength to you. Mndwlkr.
lottagelady
Jun 02, 2010 10:19 pm

.... to be honest, that may be just what it takes!
Rach xx
blackpooljean
Jun 07, 2010 1:12 pm
I agree filters are a gimmick, only added bulk.
friendly
Jun 08, 2010 2:53 am
3 weeks.  that is amazing.  i have to change mine everyday.
bikerboy
Jun 08, 2010 4:35 am
apparently Im missing something here but I dont get odor through the bag, just when I dump and it kind of reminds me of the farm I used to live on.Maybe the reason the  floating flange works for me is my tummy is round LOL.I dont use any alcohol or prep when I change and I take the bag off when showering but leave the wafer on.The water has no effect on the wafer.

The trouble I had when I first got my ileo was I used a 1 3/4 wafer which would last only 3-5 days but with the 2 1/4 wafer it lasts much longer.

greg
janice
Jun 09, 2010 7:25 am
does the larger wafer require larger bags?  I've fought for the last yr. to get UP to 120 lbs!!  I think a wafer like that would take up my entire abdomen!

Login to see image

beatrice
Jun 20, 2010 6:19 pm
About weight gain and appliances not fitting as well ...

I have always been the person who looks at food and puts on weight. Think that is what kept me realitively healthy (and alive) during my bad years with UC.

Ok, now with my ileo ... I'm gaining weight

Login to see image

. My surgery and stoma location was determined when I was ill and down to my lowest weight ever (120 lbs). Now at 138, the belly is round and the appliance isn't sitting as well.

Darn. But what can I expect when my diet consists mostly of carbs and I don't have quite the energy to do stuff that I did before. Plus, I always feel hungry.

Any thoughts appreciated.