Dealing with Urostomy Seal Failures in Extreme Heat

Replies
Views
Sirvibe
Aug 19, 2022 1:40 pm

Hi folks. I've been using urostomy bags without too many complications since 2015. But these days -- with temperatures usually over 100 degrees here in the desert -- I often have to change bags every day because the seal fails. This is probably a common problem, but I've never communicated with a fellow ostomy person ever.  I realize now that there is a whole world of people who share my ostomy lifestyle. So, I want to get to know the ostomy community and share stories about our unique issues.

Hairdresser
Aug 19, 2022 8:25 pm

Hi

Not that the temps here in New England usually get to 100 degrees but it got pretty close a couple of times this summer!  When it does get exceptionally hot here my ileostomy equipment does need changing more often.  I am not sure if it is the equipment or my paranoia!  
  Glad you reached out!  Now I know it’s not just me!

take care 😊

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

JamesArnod
Aug 19, 2022 11:30 pm
Reply to Hairdresser

Hi guys I also had this problem (had being the word). I have a urostoma and for 10 years I used a Hollister two piece.  Then I see them advertising a newer one. I switched to the newer one with ceramide or some such thing.  The difference was night and day!   The older one only failed me when I worked and sweated, especially when it was hot.  I could even spend an hour in a hot tub.   However I did have to change it every three days.

The good news is that the new one has never given me any kind of problem either in one year and I only change it…….once a week!  Sweating doesn’t appear to cause it to come off.    It is much thinner than the old one and fits like a second skin.  It is more comfortable as well

jim

Sirvibe
Aug 21, 2022 4:23 pm
Reply to JamesArnod

Thanks for the tip. I've been using ConvaTec urostomy supplies all these years. Overall they're ok, but if I work up a sweat, the seal will probably fail. That's why I only exercise just before I change my bag and seal.

Sirvibe
Aug 21, 2022 4:27 pm
Reply to Hairdresser

Thanks for your reply. I've never talked with another ostomy person since my cystectomy in 2015, so I appreciate the feedback.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play