Living with a Hemicolectomy: Seeking Advice and Shared Experiences

Replies
Views
Mabsie Moll
Sep 10, 2022 8:24 am

Hi all, I thought I had posted a similar post a few weeks back, but I couldn't find it 🤷🏼‍♀️

I only recently discovered I had a hemicolectomy. I have an ileostomy and a mucous fistula, that I'm told are temporary but won't be reversed for some time (a year maybe... I need to gain approximately 2 stone or 28lbs!) My question: has anyone else here had a hemicolectomy done? What was the healing time? If I do any small number of activities, such as lunch out with friends, or a small walk, I am wiped out and lose a day to bed rest!!🙆🏼‍♀️ I am 14 weeks post-op since yesterday D9/M9/Y22

Thanks in advance,

Caroline 🙋🏼‍♀️

ron in mich
Sep 10, 2022 1:30 pm

Hi MM, I would say that you're still in the healing stage. Internally, it's a matter of pacing yourself, staying hydrated with various fluids, not just water, and maybe getting some lab work done.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Mabsie Moll
Sep 10, 2022 2:11 pm
Reply to ron in mich

Thank you, Ron in Mich.....yes, I've been in and out of the hospital because of dehydration, a common enough occurrence, I believe. So I'm trying to stay home now. 🙏 They have given me this hi-tech injection to slow the ileostomy output, and thankfully it has slowed down quite a bit. I will have to get that shot every 4 weeks and review it in a few months. I have done very little today - I emptied the washing machine and hung out those clothes on the line, and now my energy is gone, and I'm zapped!! 🙆🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️

Thank you again for replying 👌

jeanneskindle
Apr 20, 2023 3:38 am

How are you doing now, Mabsie Moll? Jeanne. 🤗