Introducing Solids with an Ileostomy: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
oliverteekah
Sep 11, 2022 3:35 pm

Hi, I get blocks and pain whenever I try to add solids, even in purée form, regarding my ileostomy. I have lost 20 pounds from my former 105. No gall bladder. Can anyone suggest how I may slowly add more solid foods to my liquid-fluid diet? What foods are suitable for my situation?

AlexT
Sep 11, 2022 4:37 pm

What do you take in now for calories? How long have you had your ileostomy?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

TerryLT
Sep 11, 2022 9:19 pm

Hi Oliver, This doesn't sound right to me. You don't say when you had your surgery, but you should not have to be on a strictly liquid diet. If you are getting blockages even from pureed food, you should be consulting with your ostomy nurse and/or surgeon. Are you drinking lots of water? It is very important to keep well hydrated with an ileostomy, and it helps move things along. You need to be cautious while you are still healing and the tissue is swollen, but even then, pureed food should not be an issue. Please get professional advice and let us know how you are doing.

Terry

Justbreathe
Sep 11, 2022 9:48 pm

I agree with delgrl525 and in the meantime, you should probably be, and maybe you are, drinking Ensure or a similar product.

Take care.