Managing Ileostomy Leaks with Alcohol Consumption

Replies
Views
Nathang1980
Sep 26, 2022 10:03 pm

Hey, I had stage 4 colorectal cancer and now have two stomas, colostomy and ileostomy, and I've had no problems with the colostomy bag. I've recovered well, but I'm finding that when I drink wine or beer, even on a moderate level, my ileostomy will always leak. I've tried different products but still have the same result, so any info or advice would be great. Thanks.

Amanda6
Oct 17, 2022 2:06 pm

Have you tried thickeners that you can put inside your bag? I use Convatec solidifying satchels. They absorb all the liquid. I don't go a day without them now. Game changer for sure!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Nathang1980
Oct 24, 2022 12:52 am

Hi, I've just recently tried these and they've helped. Also, I found that the leaks happened overnight as I wasn't using the night bags. I didn't like the pipes getting in the way, but I've got longer ones now, so all is good so far.