Swollen Stoma During Chemotherapy: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
Ajahn
Oct 22, 2021 9:13 am

I am going through a chemo course and after each session I have a battle with constipation. After this second dose of chemo my stools were like marbles and then slowly over a few days returned to what I regard as a normal consistency for me. The last 2 days my output was way beyond what I would have expected for the diet I was on and the amount I ate of what I thought was a low residue diet, I nigh on was on a 18 hour outputting session. My stoma is now bulging out at times and causing a fair bit of discomfort at times, I wonder if it has been overworked as it looks swollen? I use a Coloplast 2 piece and my stoma is normally at 28 mm. Has anyone else had the misfortune to be on chemo and experienced similar things. Any advice/comment/help, thank you in advance.

Past Member
Oct 22, 2021 6:57 pm

Hi AJ ,  Chemo and Radiation can cause a lot of inflammation in the intestines . The Love of my life , Kitty had an Ileostomy just like me ( UC )  only because the Doctors did no pay attention enough to see how dadly the treatment was damaging her Colon and Small Intestine . By the time they took it seriously it was too late to save her Intestines. She lost All of her Colon and most of her Small intetine . Kitty had Short Bowel Syndrome and was told she would be on IV  food for therest of her ilfe. Eventually she was able to eat normally .   When my belly acts up I generally go on a Ramen Instant Noodle diet for a while , I add a bit of fish, Salmon even from the can is pretty good with no residue at all , all I get is liquid . 

I would ask the Doctor how your Intestines look and asking for a  Scan or even an Ultrasound of your Neck to Pelvis to see if there is inflammation going on . 

Hope they help you resolve this .

Eamon X

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.