One-Handed Techniques for Managing an Ostomy Bag

Replies
Views
Trucker
Nov 06, 2022 7:12 pm

I have to have shoulder surgery this winter and am really concerned about emptying my ostomy. How to empty and rinse it with only one hand. I really don't want to burden my wife with this task.

AlexT
Nov 06, 2022 7:27 pm

If it's in a sling, it's in about the perfect position to hold your back while you use the other hand to do the wiping/cleaning.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

w30bob
Nov 06, 2022 7:50 pm

Hi Trucker,

I know we've discussed how to change your barrier/bag with one hand, but I'm not sure we talked about emptying and/or rinsing. I just tried emptying mine now, and it is a bit challenging. It depends on your bag and securement method, but I find the Velcro closure on my Sensura Mio easier to deal with than my older Hollister bag with the plastic clip. Now, I don't rinse mine, so I'm not sure how that would work; it seems you'd need two hands for that. But we'll see what the other more innovative folks on here chime in with.

;O)

bob

Ben38
Nov 06, 2022 8:15 pm

You have time to practice in advance, so that's a good start. By the time you have surgery, you will be able to do it with ease. Just be hard on yourself while practicing; no cheating. Make sure you only use one hand.

It can be done and is easier than you think to empty and change a bag one-handed. I had surgery on my right hand, so I had to use my left hand, and I have very little feeling in that. I managed very well without any help, even with Velcro and a roll & lock closure system. I never rinsed mine out; that would have been a problem for me, and I couldn't clean the spout on the bag very well after emptying. I did try two-piece bags to start with, so I could just throw the bag away instead of emptying it, but I didn't get on with them very well and found my normal one-piece much easier to use.