Managing an Unpredictable Colostomy

Replies
Views
Hanaleah
May 26, 2017 7:01 pm

Can anyone tell me how I might train an erratic colostomy? Not an irrigating one, just one that is too unpredictable.

Pray for Peace, Hana

winnie
May 26, 2017 7:38 pm

Hello Hana,

Sorry I have no tips on how one might train a colostomy, but i'm curious to see what others chime in..

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Bill
May 26, 2017 7:54 pm

Hello Hana. 

Having read many posts about stomas, I have come to understand that the way to train a stoma is through patience. understanding, perseverance, routine and being kind ---to yourself!!

Personally I would add experimentation.

Best wishes

Bill

Mrs.A
May 27, 2017 4:30 am

I surely don't have a trained ostomy but if I watch what and when I eat I can pretty much guess when it will be most active.

NotDeadYet
May 27, 2017 6:20 am

Mine got trained!

I found that eating little meals helped.  Forget the all-you-can-eat pasta. Those days are OVER for you

Less food, smaller meals, even if that means MORE meals.  Keep them SMALL, steady, regular.

Ta-Da!!  My stoma puts out at 5:30 am, I hit the bathroom, and coffee is brewed then. Coffee with hubby, get kids off to school. Change bag with shower at 8:30, no action until 10 am. Get through the day with a few bag emptyings, last empty at 8pm, again at 3 am (but I'm older so I would wake up anyway).

Back in my all-u-can-eat pasta days I had stoma volcanos that would burst through my bag!

I was always one of those super-skinny people that could eat anything and shovel in food all day long and still lose weight. Not Anymore!!  Now my stoma controls everything.  Lots of little meals.   And watch for your triggers. . . beans, lettuce, pasta can all have killer results. And corn. . . ouch!

But Holly (my stoma) and I have reached the point where we can show up for tea and know that no bag emptying will need happen in that hour or two.  She is SO well trained!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play