Dealing with Burning and Redness Around My Stoma

Replies
Views
Newyorker
May 31, 2010 2:26 pm
I had an ILEOSTOMY 5 years ago and generally do not experience too many problems but lately I have a lot of burning pain around my stoma and the skin around it turns red. I usually clear it up by using stoma powder but it takes a few days to clear up. I have a female friend that had a ileostomy 50 years ago and she tells me that her doctor told her that when you have stool that accumulates around the stoma it causes a yeast infection similiar to what women experience when they get vaginal yeast infections. He has her take a FLUCONAZOLE tablet and she tells me it clears the burning and redness problem in one day. Have any of you ever heard this and if so has it helped you?

Mike
bepositive
May 31, 2010 2:52 pm
I presume that you use a wafer or tandem and pouch contraption. By any chance do you use a paste such as Hollister adapt paste which prevents any stools from in coming in contact with the skin around the stoma. Each time you change the wafer you should apply Betadine or any other anti bacteria solution on the area around the stoma. This will prevent any infection being formed.  I have been doing this for the last 3 years and have no problems so far
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

michiganman
Jun 14, 2010 4:53 am
Introduction

Adjusting to life with an ostomy takes time. The process is easier if you have education and

support as well as the right ostomy products for your needs. Appropriate products can help prevent

some of the most common challenges faced by people with ostomies. Problems such as leakage

and skin irritation are more easily prevented if you have an appropriate and well-fitting ostomy

pouching system.

Sometimes, despite proper ostomy care and products, problems develop involving the stoma

or the skin around it. This sheet was designed to help you learn more about some of these problems

and provide some suggestions about how to manage them.
This information is intended to support

the information you receive from your nurse or doctor. Be sure to talk to your healthcare

provider about any problems that occur with your stoma or skin.

Healthy Stoma and Peristomal Skin
(Figure 1)

While stomas come in a variety of sizes and shapes, the healthy stoma is pink or red in color

and slightly moist. A stoma bleeds easily when rubbed or bumped (for example, when washing).

This minor bleeding should resolve quickly.

The skin around the stoma (peristomal) should be intact without irritation, rash, or redness.

A properly fitting skin barrier protects the skin from being irritated or damaged by the stoma

drainage. It doesn't really matter whether your stoma is large or small or whether it protrudes or

not, as long as the drainage can come out of the stoma and go into your pouch without leaking

under the skin barrier.

Skin Irritation

If the skin around your stoma is damaged, it will look irritated and feel sore. Skin damage around

a stoma can be hard to manage because you need to place the ostomy pouching system over the

irritated area. The most important part of dealing with skin problems is to learn what caused the

irritation. Below are some of the things that can create irritated skin.

Improperly Fitting Skin Barrier
(Figure 2)

If the opening on your pouching system is too large or does not adhere well, the drainage

from the stoma can damage the skin. This is a particular risk in people who have an ileostomy.

Suggestions:

• Measure your stoma size periodically.

• Select a product that fits closely around your stoma.

• Apply Premium Powder to any open skin before applying your

new pouching system.

• Discontinue use of Premium Powder after the skin has healed.

• Contact your ET or WOC Nurse if the skin does not improve.

Peristomal Skin Care

Ostomy Care Tips

Figure 1

Figure 2

Skin Irritation Due to Leakage
(Figure 3)

Stoma discharge can be irritating to the skin, causing redness that can progress to open raw skin

that weeps or even bleeds. This type of irritation is often very painful. People with ileostomies are

at the highest risk. However, for anyone, a change in your stoma or the shape of your abdomen can

make your pouching system not fit as well as it used to, leading to leakage.

Suggestions:

• Change your pouch promptly if drainage is leaking under the skin barrier.

• Change your pouch on a regular schedule before it leaks.

• Contact your ET or WOC Nurse if you are having difficulty keeping your pouch on.

• Consider use of accessories (convex skin barrier, paste, barrier rings) to help prevent

leakage under the skin barrier.

Skin Irritation under Tape
(Figure 4)

Irritated skin that develops only under the tape of your ostomy pouching system can occur

for a variety of reasons. You may be sensitive to an ingredient in the tape or your skin may

have become damaged from tape removal. The skin may be itchy, blistered, or open and

weeping. This problem can develop at any time even if you have worn the same type of product

for months or years.

Suggestions:

• Try a pouching system without tape. These products are adhesive but use a skin barrier

instead of tape.

• Apply Premium Powder to any open skin before applying your new pouching system.

• Contact your ET or WOC Nurse if you are having difficulty keeping your pouch on.

Rash under Ostomy Product
(Figure 5)

Sometimes a rash is caused by a skin infection or sensitivity or even leakage. The area may be red

or red with bumps. Itching may also be a symptom. It is important to get assistance in determining

the cause since the suggestions for treatment will vary.

Suggestions:

• If an antifungal is recommended for treatment, make sure it is in a powder form, not a cream.

Remember:

Don't
ignore skin problems around your stoma.

Do
seek help for skin irritation or pouch leakage.

Don't
use home remedies.

Do
call for samples if you need to try something new.

For more information:

WOC Nurses specialize in the care of people with ostomies.

If you need help locating an ostomy nurse in your area, contact:

Wound, Ostomy, Continence Nurses Society (WOCN)

For product related questions or concerns,

contact Hollister Incorporated at

Hollister Incorporated

2000 Hollister Drive

Libertyville, Illinois 60048

www.hollister.com

907253-605 ©2005 Hollister Incorporated. Hollister and logo, and Premium are trademarks of Hollister Incorporated.

Figure 3

Figure 4

Figure 5