Ileostomy and Rectal Stump Drainage Concerns

Replies
Views
bilingualadr
Nov 18, 2022 10:26 pm

Hi everyone, this question is mainly for those who have been diagnosed with UC, now have an ileostomy, and still have their rectal stumps. My surgery was in 2012. After that, I had some drainage from my short rectal stump, which apparently is normal as the body adjusts. Eventually, it has become next to nothing for a very long time. Suddenly, in the last week, I am having quite a bit of that kind of slightly pale pinkish drainage various times a day. No pain. I have been under a lot of stress, preparing for a move. Have any of you experienced this return of rectal stump drainage? Thanks.

Mark1070
Nov 18, 2022 11:33 pm

It's a good question. I've also had the same happen. Not sure exactly what it means, but my GI once told me mucous discharge is normal as the body seeks nutrients.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Nov 19, 2022 12:06 am

The “normal” pale pink isn't usually a cause for concern, even in an increased amount. It could be that with preparing to move, the extra straining or any related stress is responsible for the increase in volume. If you have other changes though, more bloody or just blood, foul odor, other color changes (green for example), or increased pain, you would want to check in with your doctor. If it continues to be bothersome or if you start to have leakage, it would be worth the peace of mind to ask the doctor.

NJ Bain
Nov 19, 2022 12:32 am

Bilingualadr,

I recently had a sigmoidoscopy because of the same issue. Normally, I would have clear, slightly yellowish drainage. In the past year, it would feel like I had to have a movement and when I sat down, it was bloody discharge with no pain. The sigmoidoscopy results revealed inflammation from a type of colitis that forms in the rectal stump because there is no longer waste going through there. The doctor explained to me that normally, the waste does have some nutrient that prevents the inflammation.

To supplement that, she prescribed a Mesalamine rectal suspension enema. Now, I'm not a fan of enemas, but there may be a suppository form that I have yet to ask about. But it isn't life-threatening. You still may want to get a sigmoidoscopy under anesthesia just to make sure there is nothing else going on down there.

Bain