To Reverse or Not: Deciding on My End Ileostomy Reversal

Replies
Views
Big spaghetti
Jan 30, 2023 8:43 pm

Help! The big debate: to reverse or not to reverse my end ileostomy? It's been about 14 months since my emergency operation due to Crohn's. Do I have to get a reversal? Can I stay as I am? I don't know 🤷🏻‍♀️

CrappyColon
Jan 30, 2023 9:03 pm

Sounds like it's up to you. I had a reversal in November, but I don't have Crohn's. Unsure of your age, at my age I at least wanted to try. My husband actually wanted me to keep my ileostomy; he thought it would be easier for me because I crave an independent lifestyle. With the GI issues I'm having and just how many complications I had after surgery, I'd say ask me in 6 months to a year if I like the reversal. But I don't regret trying.
Feel free to ask me any questions.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

w30bob
Jan 31, 2023 7:21 am

Depends on what you mean by 'end ileostomy'. Will they reconnect your colon, or was that removed? Is your terminal ileum intact? What kind of lifestyle are you looking for? There's a lot to consider... but there's no rush... is there?

:O)

Ben38
Jan 31, 2023 3:35 pm

No, no one can force you to have any surgery or a reversal if you don't want it. If you don't have a reversal, it's possible that sometime in the future a doctor might think it's best to remove your colon, rectum, and anus (just presuming you still have your colon), but only a doctor can advise on that.

As you're in the UK, I would suggest you speak to your stoma nurse and consultant. Tell them how you're feeling about going through with a reversal, and there's no rush to make a decision. Take as much time as you need and see and speak to them as many times as you need to.

If you haven't done so already, it might be helpful to speak to someone from the UK Ileostomy & Internal Pouch Association so you could speak to someone who has had a reversal. It might help with making your final decision.