Best Hernia Support Belts for Post-Surgery Care

Replies
Views
BobMac21
Feb 17, 2023 1:55 am

I have had multiple surgeries after the initial emergency one that left me with an ileostomy. Besides adhesions that narrow my remaining intestine, I have a hernia/weakness that sometimes pushes out and causes a lot of pain. Are there support belts that leave the stoma free but support the abdominal wall? It can't be like a back brace because I also have collapsed vertebrae, and pressure on the spine could do damage.

Past Member
Feb 17, 2023 2:00 am

They do make these kinds of belts. Try Nu-Hope. If you call and talk to them, they'll help fit you with the kind of belt that will work best for you.

https://nu-hope.com/

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

w30bob
Feb 17, 2023 4:59 am

Hi BM,

Google "Best hernia belts for ostomy" and then hit 'images' and you can see the wide variety of belts out there. Not sure about your back issue, as most belts need to be wide to support the hernia, so they cover a large portion of your lower spine. I've dealt with Nu-Hope in the past and they are excellent, so don't hesitate to give them a call. Let us know how you make out finding a good belt. There are others on here looking for the same thing, and the question comes up a lot.

;O)

bob

Axl
Feb 17, 2023 9:53 am

I have one of these among other things. I don't use it anymore, but they are flexible and firm around the abdomen and back. However, I would use caution as the belt being too tight and the stoma not supported may make the stoma prolapse, etc. I use one of these without the hole when training, as I do no more than 30 - 40 minutes these days. Try one; they are dirt cheap, and you can get a feel for them before throwing more money at one.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/255982315456

Past Member
Feb 17, 2023 2:23 pm

I've tried loads and not had much luck with them. The closed ones have squashed the stoma, meaning output often gets squeezed past the flange and I have to really keep an eye on things.

I tried a few open ones, but the aperture was too large, so it felt like the stoma and the entire hernia were bulging through.

Finally came across this one, and I'm very happy with it - you cut out the aperture to match the size of the appliance's flange, so there's a decent fit. The hernia's well supported and 'Stig' has room to do his thing. It's made such a difference.

Having it on all day is a bit wearing, so I am grateful to take it off at the end of the day, swapping it for something less restrictive for rattling around the house (their Level 2 supports are pretty good), but I wouldn't be without it for work, exercise, etc.

https://comfizz.com/collections/available-on-prescription/products/comfizz-15cm-belt-level-3-support-unisex

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play