Impact of Chemotherapy on a Long-term Stoma

Replies
Views
Golda
Jul 05, 2010 1:59 am
Hi,

I need to have chemotherapy for a recent diagnosis of breast cancer and I am worried about any possible negative effects to my stoma, which has been healthy for 19 years.  I am wondering if anyone has had experience with this and could shed some light for me?

Thanks much,

Gail  

Login to see image

Past Member
Jul 05, 2010 12:20 pm
Hi Gail

I am truley sorry about your diagnoses, but hang in there. As for the effects of radiation I had an emergency colostomy due to extreme pain prior to radiation an chemo and I had no ill effects with the exception of constant diahrea but that was probably due to the area that was radiated. Since yours treatment will be to your upper torso you should be fine.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

wend
Jul 05, 2010 5:55 pm
Hi Gail,

Im currently on chemo tablets, and have had a stoma for six months due to bowel cancer, im half way through 8 cycles of chemo  to kill any remaing cells, i hope!!,

and so far the three months ive been on the tablets it hasnt affected the stoma at all, im aware that could change,  i do get really tired thoough.

we are all so different tho, as is our medication,

good luck!!

Login to see image

wendy x
topcat2
Jul 06, 2010 3:34 pm
I'm going thru chemo now with a new stoma (3 months old) and have no negatives to tell you about
mosaic
Jul 07, 2010 5:19 am
Sorry to hear you have to go through chemo. I know its not a pleasant thing to have. I don't think stoma will be effected at all except for diarrhea( which i assume is much painless than constipation-- watch out for it-- but its usually diarrhea with chemo).

good luck with treatments.

peace out!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
C Cogan
Jul 07, 2010 2:34 pm
Hello Gail: Best of luck to you with your chemo!! You sound strong but my prayers will be with you. CSC
Past Member
Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Gail, I am so sorry to hear about this, You make me feel more Blessed than I am and have been.  I know you will be OK, I know of nothing it will do as I have not that knowledge, never had Cancer.  I put you also on Our Prayer List at Church and asked People to please Pray for you.  I dont care if you believe in a God or not I do.  I hope you are doing good and not suffering as it tears me up to know this.  Hey my Idol was Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis as The Wild Child and I always considered myself like that.  Life wasnt the best, but it also wasnt the worst compared to being sick now and hurting the two boys God left me alive.  Plus my husband who couldnt even think of another women as that is just the way he was raised.  I only know that we can offer our Prayers and Hopes and wishes for you to be and stay well, May God Bless you and All of his Angels in Heaven watch over you always, Love Jenny

Login to see image

Past Member
Jul 07, 2010 4:44 pm
Gail, I am 52 and totally wasnt thinking of cancer when they did a Hysterectomy at 25 but they got it all and had no treatments, I sware I have no Idea except what people have told me what you are going through.  That is why I feel guilty, I havent suffered enough or at least I dont feel that way, but I am not so sure how much more the good Lord wants to take from me.  Nothing will ever touch my Faith or who I am and this is what God made me to be.  I feel so Blessed that I do ask my friends to Pray for the People I know are really suffering.  Please have a easy time of it, In Christ Name I Pray, Jenny
Golda
Jul 13, 2010 11:02 pm
WOW!! Thank you so much everyone for your comments, encouragement and well wishes.

Thank you also for helping to relieve my fears of Chemo affecting my stoma's good health in anyway!

You / we are a special group of people!!

Login to see image

Thanks again and take care.

Gail