B12 vs Folic Acid Deficiency Symptoms in Ostomates

Replies
Views
dxs172
Jul 19, 2010 1:07 am
It appears that B12 deficiency and/or folic acid deficiency is an issue for some of us ostomates and I am curious to know whether my symptoms might be indicative of a B12 deficiency.  

By way of background, I was diagnosed with IBD at 15 (indeterminate colitis) and had an ileostomy at 25 (now aged 45).  I had a folic acid deficiency identified by my GP about 15 years ago and I have been taking folic acid pills ever since on a daily basis.   Over the last few years, I have increased  the amount of folic acid consumed to 3 pills per day (@ 1mg each) as I believe that it increases  my energy levels.   Periodically, including the last month or so,   I have reduced my folic acid intake back down to 1 pill (@1mg) per day. However, when I do this, I feel more fatigued and, recently, have noted a  regular  tingling sensation in my legs.  I have also been taking  2 “children’s” chewable multi-vitamins with iron per day the last few years.   My health, otherwise, is  good.

Anyways, I am wondering whether I might be B12 deficient and was wondering if others had similar symptoms and/or could provide input (am also seeing my GP end of this week – last doctor visit was April 2009):

(1)    Medical information  mentions that folic acid therapy can mask a B12 deficiency – is there any way to test for B12 deficiency while you are taking folic acid on a regular basis?  

(2)    Has anyone with B12 deficiency experienced a “tingling” sensation in the legs – is it possibly related to  B12 deficiency?

(3)    Is the sublingual route for taking B12 as effective as getting B12 injections?

(4)    Any other comments/thoughts?

Thanks for your help!  

Past Member
Jul 19, 2010 1:44 am
Are You anemic? Vit B12 plays an important role in RBC formation. A low number of RBCs could lead to a stae of fatique.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

dxs172
Jul 20, 2010 1:05 am
Thx for your reply!

I have not been diagnosed as anemic - will pursue that and related issue of RBC count (and other blood work) with my doctor the end of this week.  

Have also researched B12 issue a liitle more - seems to work in conjunction with folate - looks like B12 sublingual delivery works well and there is no side effects and toxicity is a non-issue - so will pursue that further with my doctor as well.

Thanks again.

lexus1
Jul 21, 2010 12:15 pm
ileostomate here; I give myself a b-shot in glute once a month, the needle is too small to feel. Hope you get yours figured out; A quick blood test will show your levels, then Doc should have all info. If you want to go natural there are options. Good luck to you! lex