New here!

Replies
Views
kurly
Jul 01, 2013 9:48 pm
Hi everyone,  I'm still learning how to navigate around this site. I've actually never been very active with on-line support, or any support for that matter. I've always dealt with chronic illness by putting on a brave face and a smile but after 40 years I'm spent so here I am.   I'm pretty reserved and quiet around people I don't know.  I've had an ileostomy for 6 six years (and still hate the little f***er).  Diagnosed with UC in 1976. J-pouch in 1999 after years of being steroid dependent and horrible flare-ups.  Chronic pouchitis until emergency surgery in 2007 for pelvic abscesses.  The UC is "cured" but then there is a whole different set of issues to deal with.  In spite of all that I have met alot of my goals over the past 40 years.  I have 2 children and a small grandson who is the greatest love of my life.  I was a healthcare worker for 20 years but have been unable to work for the past year. Frequent obstructions and high output is keeping me close to home.  I guess I'm looking for a new purpose, a way to re-invent myself but I'm not sure what I want to be when i grow up; or what I can be. Time to reach out.  Anyways, just want to connect with others who have traveled the same road.  Share some laughs, maybe a few tears.  

Is swearing allowed on this site??  I swear.  A lot.  Only around grown-ups though.

g
mild_mannered_super_hero
Jul 02, 2013 10:57 am
hey, and welcome to the site.....

Login to see image

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Jul 02, 2013 1:47 pm

I think the short answer is "Mostly". Welcome.
WOUNDED DOE
Jul 02, 2013 6:05 pm
Welcome to the site kurly

Login to see image

Lots of good people to talk to in here and share tips, experiences and woes with

Login to see image

~Doe
Slow momma
Jul 02, 2013 8:59 pm
Hi kurly... Welcome. I'm new here as well. I've only had my   Ileostomy for only 3 months so am trying to get use to this stupid bag.... Been through the emotions of it all and wanted to throw in the towel many times, but with the support of groups like this lets you know your not alone and others are there to help.  Barbara

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
kurly
Jul 02, 2013 10:37 pm
Thanks for the welcome everyone!!

gina
Jupiter
Jul 03, 2013 4:54 am
Welcome to the party.
Primeboy
Jul 03, 2013 5:31 am

Reaching out is a great start. If you could turn the clock back in your mind and think about what choices you wish you had made, what would you want to do with yourself now? Perhaps it may not be too late to find and realize a piece of that dream. Actually, I think there's much merit in reinventing ourselves a lot more often. You'll find people here who can help and people here you can help, sharing the same road but with a few laughs and tears along the way. Welcome!    PB
Bikergirl
Jul 03, 2013 10:29 am
Welcome to the site!!   I am new to this site as well.. but certainly not new to the life of an ostomate....  I was blessed with my "Lil Buddy" 28 years ago, next month.  Still have days where I'd rather not have it.. but thankful for the life it has given me!!

I too am trying to reinvent myself.. lol..  Do I wanna go up? Heck no!!  Hopefully, we all will be well enough to enjoy each and every day... as we try to figure this life out..

Happy 4th Celebrations!!

Mare

Login to see image

Penguins7
Jul 03, 2013 11:56 am
Hi Kurly.  Welcome aboard.  I am fairly new here also and this site has been awesome to connect with all kinds of people who have similar experiences. People are so willing to help. Keep you chin up and things will get better.  I guess the bottom line is we will never really like the pouch but the key is we have to accept it and for me I was so sick for 3 years with a flare. Now 6 months after the surgery I am working full time again and golfing 3 days a week. Good luck. Rod
firedup
Jul 03, 2013 12:07 pm
Welcome to the site Kurly,

It took me 18 years to find a site like this and I an grateful for it (I've been here a year). There's some great information and wonderful people here. Like others, I'm not thrilled with this pouch, but it's much better than the alternative and I can do more than before I got it.

Have a great day!

Gail
christiesdad
Jul 04, 2013 1:39 pm
Kurly,

Yes indeed,  welcome  in.  However you will  be  warned  about  me!

Login to see image

Login to see image

.  but it is all in  good fun and I will  try to be kind.  Heh, heh.

Jack