Has Anyone Else Seen Health Improvements Post-Ostomy?

Replies
Views
Tiggy
Sep 29, 2010 9:19 pm
Am I the only one who feels that some people experience a *general* improvement in their health after ostomy surgery? I know I've seen such a thing take place in my husband, and I'm not just talking about the actual condition that was treated, severe colitis in his case,  but just his overall sense of well being. Sure, he still  has days where he's tired or maybe a bit moody, but there have been subtle improvements in his general health since he had his colon removed that have not gone un noticed.

For one thing, he doesn't have such severe night sweats and even if he does sweat at night, it's not as strong smelling and sticky. Sorry if that's too much information.

Login to see image

Another thing I've noticed, is his entire complexion drastically improved, almost as soon as he was out of the operating room! His skin looked clearer and more vibrant somehow, and that hasn't changed at all since then. Also, he's been able to put on weight and keep it on, whereas before the surgery even when his colitis was not flaring up, he had a terrible time trying to gain weight. Now it's as if he doesn't have to try at all.

Login to see image

I have a pet theory that my husbands' colon was simply toxic, even when it wasn't inflammed and causing him obvious symptoms of colitis. I know there is no concrete scientific evidence to back up this claim, but based on how he's changed for the better since his surgery in so many seemingly unrelated ways, I can't help but believe it's true.

I know this is a very sensitive subject, because I'm aware that some people in our online community feel like life has been an uphill battle since their surgery, and that is a position I completely understand and respect. But for the rest of us, has anyone else noticed small improvements in their health that shouldn't be related to their surgery, but that occured right after their surgery was done?
crazycatlady
Sep 30, 2010 6:54 pm
Hi, I'm glad your husband is feeling a lot better now.

I was definitely the same - I was ill for about 2 years until I had my ileo, then another 2 years until I had my colon removed. (all for ulcerative colitis) Since then I've been great. I can maintain my weight, have colour in my cheeks, just feel better.

Although, I am very susceptible to colds and flu. Don't know if that is from my surgery, or because I teach snotty 5 year olds

Login to see image

!!!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

lottagelady
Sep 30, 2010 7:20 pm
Hi Tiggy

I reckon it is all down to the reasson for your surgery - I think that those who have battled with Crohns, IBD, UC etc then the stoma has no doubt improved their general health .... but those who have had stoma surgery as a result of a surgical 'slip' or misdiagnosis then I think it is different.

Think it is all about quality of life before surgery - for some it will have improved life no end, for others it will be like hell on earth .....

My thoughts anyway ....

Rach xx
gutenberg
Sep 30, 2010 8:09 pm
Think it is all about quality of life before surgery - for some it will have improved life no end, for others it will be like hell on earth .....

My thoughts anyway ....

And exactly my thoughts also, Ed
beatrice
Sep 30, 2010 8:28 pm
Glad to hear that hubby is doing so well

Login to see image

For me (ileo due to colitis), I'd say that on good days now I'm not feeling as good as I did when I wasn't in a flare before the op (when I wasn't in a flare I felt wonderful). Unfortunately those times were happening less and less and my colon was thinning ... then C-Diff, then emerg surgery.

I don't have the bad days that I did with colitis though.

My overall energy is less and I tire more easily. Have to put some of this down to the fact that I'm not eating as well as before the ileo. Still can tolerate much meat and can't do vegies except for cooked carrots. I'm vitamined up the ying yang, but I just think you can't replace getting the nutrients from real food.

And the rectal colitis is a downer. I'm currently in a flare and the body feels just like it did with my 'full colon' flares -- achey and sore.

And the ileo/pouch issues, while minor in many ways, contribute to my overall sense of my health not being what I'd hoped for.

May I ask (remind me), did Tucker have the rectal area removed as well in the operation?

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
goldengirl
Oct 01, 2010 1:00 am
Yeah I guess I got to agree...it stinks..no pun intended
Rhian
Oct 03, 2010 6:24 pm
I'm afraid I feel no better, two years ago I lost my descending colon through crohn's, and I still can only eat low fibre, have lost two stone in the past 6 months (i'm now less than 7 and a half), and need my low dose chemo stepped up, other meds I take doubled and need Infliximab now, my hair is dropping all over, my joint pain is severe, and my bowels still go watery very quickly, the only thing I'm grateful for is that it was a life saving op, and I can still be around to watch both my lads grow up
zoe54
Oct 03, 2010 9:31 pm
Yes, after having ulcerative colitis for 5 yrs, I have felt better!
Whitey
Oct 04, 2010 12:26 pm
Don't forget that after stoma surgery for UC you mostly stop taking all the drugs (Methotrexate, Salazopyrin and Prednisolone in my case).  I reckon stopping all these has as much to do with the improvement in complexion, body shape and energy as much as getting rid of that toxic colon.
Degurosa
Oct 04, 2010 2:17 pm
I think if you were sick before the op, then it's probably natural to feel better once the illness has been treated. For me though, it was the other way round. I had my ileostomy because of cancer 2nd time around. I had no signs of illness and felt great. Now I can barely eat without getting a blockage and have several very painful hernias. I'm in and out of hospital, in constant pain and unable to work. I no longer have cancer...but I no longer have a care-free life either.
Past Member
Oct 04, 2010 2:35 pm

I completely agree and same goes for Crohn's disease.  It has been nearly 2 years since my surgery and since then have taken absolutely no medication and have never been healthier (even before I was diagnosed with Crohn's 20 years ago).  I honestly believe the drugs prolong the illness and go nowhere near to curing it but just mask the symptoms.
Tiggy
Oct 04, 2010 9:24 pm
Thank you everyone for the thoughtful and honest replies. I knew when I made this post that some in our community have had a very hard time of it post-surgery, and I can totally understand. If Tyler had received his ileostomy due to a medical mistake - my God we'd be royally pissed! To answer Beatrice's question, no, he didn't have his rectum removed. I think the surgeon left it intact in the hopes that he could have a reversal at a later date if he chose to. At this point, he isn't interested in putting his body through another surgery, and neither am I if I'm being perfectly honest. And so far we've been extremely fortunate, there has been no sign of inflammation in his rectal area. I hope it stays that way! knocks on wood

I think some of you raised a very valid point in bringing up the medication. After 6-7 years of using prednisone for up to six months at a time, Tyler's body *still* isn't quite the same from the medication. He has occasional problems with extremely temperature sensitive teeth, and is prone to leg cramps and other nasty side effects he first experienced while taking steroids. Having said that, those issues are manageable and typically don't last long. I'll agree that when it comes to serious medical interventions like long term prednisone use and chemo therapy which someone else mentioned in this thread - if the disease doesn't kill you, the cure might. I know it sounds bleak, but surely I can't be the only one who is gets a little cynical with the available treatments for some chronic illnesses.

Once again thank you so much to everyone who had some wisdom to impart on this topic. I am very happy for those of you who said you do feel better, and will continue offering my support and prayers for those of you who aren't quite at a point where they can safely say they feel better.