Stoma Care Tips: Dealing with Infection and Bleeding

Replies
Views
mimo23
Oct 13, 2010 1:34 pm
I have just recently had a colostomy, almost 2 months ago and need some help. it looks as if my stoma and the site around it is infected. it tender and red and at times bleeds when i am cleaning the site. I am using nappy rash cream on the area. does any one know of some better products or techniques i should use.

Thanks Maryam
IamSam
Oct 13, 2010 4:42 pm
Maryam, if you do believe that the area around the stoma is infected, please see your doctor or ET as soon as possible!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

lottagelady
Oct 13, 2010 5:21 pm
Hi and welcome .... it sounds like there may be a fungal infection under the wafer - there has been a recent thread on that with several replies ...

https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=1662

Good luck with it all,

Rach xx
beatrice
Oct 13, 2010 5:45 pm
You are still a 'newbie' ... better not to try things on your own at this point.

Do you have an Ostomy (ET) nurse contact? Or see your doctor.

There are many good products available. You just have to get the appropriate ones.

If it's an infection, better get it cleared up pronto.

Sound like a plan?

All the best and welcome!
sherrybear
Oct 13, 2010 9:56 pm

Login to see image

Try useing wet ones,they help me alot. just be sure your area around stoma is dry and clean.it is normal for some bleeding,hope this helps.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Pinky
Oct 13, 2010 11:29 pm
I agree with Beatrice and Sam - make a date with your ostomy nurse as soon as possible.  A few little drops of blood around the stitches might be OK, but you need to find out what that red rash is all about - and either change products or get some anti-fungal meds, powder, etc. before the itch makes you crazy!!  (Like me).    

Login to see image

mimo23
Oct 14, 2010 2:48 am
i have called the nurse and organized a appointment with her. Thank you all so much!!!!!
WOUNDED DOE
Oct 24, 2010 8:06 am
Hi mimo23 ....hey dear, you were given great advice by some truly awesome friends, please do let us know how you're doing

Login to see image

Login to see image

Take care!

~Your Doe