Swimming

Replies
Views
wookie2005
Nov 04, 2010 1:53 pm
Hi Everyone,

Just would like some help or information when it comes to what everyone uses when it comes to swimming? I am about to experiance my first summer with my Iliestomy and my god here in perth on wednesday was 37 degress and i was so uncomfortable. I have been itchy and irritated! I currently Use Dansac Pre-cut drainable "bags" i have already started using medical tape and sticking that to me as they keep leaking throughout the nights.

If anyone could help or suggest something to me with the swimming it would be great.

Thanks Everyone

Brooke =)
Past Member
Nov 04, 2010 2:18 pm
hey. i found the dansac nova fold up, i think it is, is really good for water as it seems to adhese tighter when in contact with water. but i found that with the heat they tend to dry and crumble and leak. I have tried a few different bags by ringing up for samples but i found for me that convatec active life with no filters and clips work good in the hot weather. so i have been using them coming into summer. The bonus with the active life ones is you can get 60 a month instead of 30. so what i have done is got 60 for the month then the next month gotten 30 dansacs so i can use the convatec bags and if i want to go swimming change to the dansac and the benefit of getting 60 a month of the convatec means i can change my bag three times a day if i plan to swim and not worry about having none at the end of the month

Login to see image

cheers andrew
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

wookie2005
Nov 04, 2010 2:24 pm
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your advice, i use the fold up ones from dansac but i do like the idea of getting the 60 a month. might give them a try this month since summer is upon us! =)
Past Member
Nov 04, 2010 3:01 pm
do you have the stoma scheme list?

what i had been doing was going thru the list one by one and calling the companies to send me out a sample of each of their bags. that way you get to try each one out, you get them for free. and you get extra bags for your months quota
Past Member
Nov 04, 2010 4:05 pm
Ask if they can send you samples of "stoma caps" they are small round ostomy bags, they only hold 50 ml, but nice and discreet for swimming.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
wend
Nov 04, 2010 4:24 pm
I agree with panther, i use the stoma caps in the summer, the small round ones, and small oblong ones are good, all from dansac, i wouldnt be without them in the summer.

just wish we had more sun!!

Login to see image

healthyguy
Nov 04, 2010 8:56 pm
Hi Wookie

I have always used Convetec 2 piece system with the sur fit flexible wafer & never had a problem with swimming.  I have purchase an hernia belt that fits over the wafer to help keep in in place while swimming.  I do however apply a coating of skin prep to the wafer prior to swimming.  Without swimming I usually get 5-6 days out of an appliance but when swimming I usually change it after 2 days at the beach just to be safe.   I use our hot tub a couple of times a week for about 1 hr each time & still am able to get 5 days out of a change.  Try the hearnia belt, I think you will find that it will help.  Have fun swimming.
Past Member
Nov 04, 2010 11:30 pm
I got an ileo in May and I went swimming when my incisions healed. I am a fan of coloplast. the regular wear absorb more moisture than the extended wear wafers, so I keep both and switch back and forth depending on what I'm doing. I wore both swimming and didn't have any problems.
wookie2005
Nov 06, 2010 4:46 am
Hi Andrew,

No i dont have a stoma Scheme list, all i do is every month goto the WA ostomy and get my monthly supplies of bags, no sting barrier wipes and glue removal. Its everything that i was given after sugery, im still using same company i havent had any issues with Dansac. I am seeing my Stoma Nurse on Monday so i will also speak with her about it all..

Thanks Brooke=)

As for everyone else, Thank you for your advice and help i will deffinatly be looking into it all....

Thanks Again

Brooke=)
Past Member
Nov 06, 2010 5:18 am
http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/989AA2889CB492B9CA256F180049215D/$File/01072010Complete.pdf

Thats the australian stoma scheme. i tend to look thru and then any products im interested in i look on the companies website and order samples from them. It can be worth shopping around because there are some good products out there and ive found the hospitals and stoma nurses are very supportive helping find what you need.
beatrice
Nov 06, 2010 5:14 pm
I've been trying things during this first year with my ileostomy (dec 09) - for swimming as well as hot-tubbing

Like Healthyguy, I'm using the Convetec 2 piece system with the sur fit flexible flange.

Without anything extra, the hot-tubbing doesn't work. After 15min, the adhesive (the 'tape' part, not the flange) begins to melt and gravity draws the melted adhesive downwards and it starts to come out the bottom edge. If I'm just swimming, the seal holds pretty well, but I find I'm changing every other day (if I'm in the water many times a day or daily). Once melted, the adhesive never really solidified/dries again and it's very irritating.

Then I tried adding Perma-type Security Strips http://www.perma-type.com/accesil.htm tape ... a bit better for swimming, but still a no-go for the hot tub. The flange 'tape' still melts.

Now I'm using Sure Seal Rings http://www.bestbuyostomy.com/product/ACT%20RS%200110  Better but still get the melting in the hot tub, and I think that's just the way it's going to be.

Have to admit, I didn't enjoy my first summer heat like I used to. Itchy, sweaty. The answer was to change my appliance more often.

I've decided that hot tubbing may not be something I do as often as I did before. But I'm going to keep at the swimming ... we're going to Hawaii for our 25th in Jan and we love snorkelling. I'll probably be using my support belt for additional comfort (of body and mind).

Hope you find something that works.

Beatrice
smith311
Nov 08, 2010 11:47 pm
Thanks Pundy, very useful list.  I'm from the U.S. but the majority onthere most likely apply here as well.  Anyone know if there's aspecific list for the U.S.?  I'm currently using and am happy withConvatec 2-piece (Sur-Fit Natura) but it can't hurt to check across theboard, plus I'm in the market for a good one-piece that's discreet(low-profile) for certain situations, so this list may help a lot.

Thanks again,

George
jjjnettie
Nov 11, 2010 3:32 pm
I use the Braun Biotrol Petite F00015A.

It's a wee little thing, 2"x1.5". Great for intimate moments as well.

But I've no problems wearing my usual Coloplast Sensura either.

And yes, ring up all the companies and get them to send you samples. I like freebies.

Login to see image