College Army

Replies
Views
HenryM
May 15, 2024 8:34 am

Login to see image
BACK IN THE SIXTIES, I was enrolled for a couple of years at a small, land grant, all-male college that required ROTC [Reserve Officer Training Corps] during freshman and sophomore years.  I transferred in as a sophomore and therefore had to do a year of this pretend soldiering.  I was car-pooling with three other guys, two of whom were juniors who had chosen to remain in ROTC and were ergo officers.  Although we were friendly four days per week, on ROTC days (Thursday) I was required to refer to my two carpool mates as ‘Sir’ and salute them.  Each of them took it very seriously, an attitude which only heightened the absurdity factor for me.  The Vietnam War was just getting cranked up and I hope each of them survived it.  As for me, I didn’t last long in the program and ultimately transferred to another school, wondering how the hell I had ended up at a college without girls that required me to learn how to dissemble and reassemble a rifle in X minutes.  My ostomy kept me out of Vietnam and so the ROTC was wasted on me.    

ron in mich
May 15, 2024 12:07 pm

Hi Henry i had one year of rotc when i was a freshman in high school and as for the knowing how to take apart and put the M1 rifle and put it back together i probably could do it blindfolded, i,m glad i never had to fire the damn thing as it probably would have broke my shoulder. I soon found out that marching and keeping in step and knowing what all the insignia meant was a bunch of baloney and switched to gym class the rest of high school.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Justbreathe
May 15, 2024 12:33 pm

My older brother was in ROT-Z as he called it…fortunately girls were exempt - I should have been exempt from Home-EC (ick) as well, as it was as useless to me as ROTZ was to you both !  jb

Mysterious Mose
May 15, 2024 4:03 pm

Don't get me started on ROTC officers in Vietnam...

HenryM
May 15, 2024 7:43 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

No surprise to me, Mose.  

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play