Welcome New Ostomates: It Gets Easier, Hang in There!

Replies
Views
janice
Nov 20, 2010 7:19 am
When I first got my ostomies (yes, I have 2), I went through leaks, broken skin, major depression, crying constantly, feeling my life was over and centered completely around my bags!

I want to encourage the new folks.  IT DOES GET EASIER!

I got my ostomies, after waking up from a bowel surgery that I needed due to complications from radiation.

I had them for 10 months and for me it was 10 months of pure hell! I got a reversal after ten months, only to have a bowel perforation and now I'm back to the 2 ostomies again. ( I have an iliostomy & a mucas fistula).

This time around I have had them for 17 months.

I am LIVING my life again and hardly even think about my bags anymore!

You will be able to also, I promise!!!

HANG IN THERE!
darwin_liong
Nov 20, 2010 8:16 am
I am sympathetic for your
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

trudel
Nov 21, 2010 8:27 am
Well Janice after a hellish start you seem to have things sorted now. I haven't had my surgery yet,  that will be on Tuesday, it's Sunday now.

But your post has given me faith that it will be okay in the end and I'll be able to carry on a normal lifestyle.

Good luck in the future
dizzyduck
Nov 21, 2010 10:03 am
Good luck for Tuesday, had my colostomy 2 years, after the op 3 months off work then

back to it with no problems, I know I was lucky, but I think if you get in the right frame of

mind and believe its going to be ok, it will be for you. Better alive with a bag than not.
C Cogan
Nov 21, 2010 8:51 pm
Hello Janice: I had my colostomy fifteen months ago after a serious bloackage due to diaverticulitis ( stretched out flabby intestines) It was emergency surgery and I was in emotional shock afterwards. I did not want to talk about the ostomy very much and still do not. I have just bucked up and have done my best to tolerate the situation and go about my quiet life as a widow and head of a large family. The colostomy routine has become second nature at this point and I do not think I will risk a reversal unless the surgery is a medical necessity. My surgeon respects my judgement which is helpful, although if I get a hernia he would do a repair and reversal. I find that both my family and close friends prefer not to discuss my condition and that is just fine with me. best of luck to all of you, Cynthia

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play