Tips for Efficiently Cleaning Appliance Interiors

Replies
Views
teddyj9
Dec 03, 2010 3:22 pm
I have a one-piece appliance, witch involves cleaning the inside of the nck every time I drain it, even after expelling gas.  Any hints on a better way to do this?
three
Dec 03, 2010 6:55 pm
teddyj9 ~ This may help:

http://www.kemonline.com/content/home/
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Immarsh
Dec 03, 2010 7:09 pm
Hi Teddy,

Although I have been using a two piece appliance for many years, I did use a one piece for a short time.  I rarely washed it out between emptying, but if I did, I used a small amount of water, poured it into the pouch and "swished " it around.  The only time I did that was if the area around the stoma felt "itchy", or if the waste material was especiall foul smelling.  But those were the days before odor control products.  To me, the pouch is like the "rectum" and I'd no sooner rinse that out after evacuation.  But that's a personal preferance.  I have a friend who always carries a small cup with her, so she can take water into the stall to rinse out.   I hope this helps.

Marsha
junopete
Dec 05, 2010 10:44 pm
Teddy,

I can tell you the only way to vent is to use the "osto-vents".  It's sure fire and safe, no surprises.  No hassle with getting some feces coming out or getting waste in the seal area.

Just be sure and place the "osto-vent" as near to the top of the bag as you can get it.

Venting trying to break the upper seal on a two piece is a fools game!

Good luck

Rick.....
Pinky
Dec 05, 2010 11:30 pm
Yes, Teddy - you definitely want something for your pouch that will expel gas automatically - like the suggested products, or a filter on your pouch (some folks complain they don't work, but they usually do for me).  Also, for gas use BEANO!

I wear a two-piece, and even then when I'm wearing a drainable pouch I rinse just like Marsha mentioned.  Also, if you go to a two-piece you can use a disposable (flushable) liner which gets rid of the rinsing problem altogether.  Try the website for Colomajic.    

Login to see image

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
WOUNDED DOE
Dec 06, 2010 3:45 am
Hi teddy

Login to see image

hey I use a little one-piece pouch also but mine has a filter on top and this new filter area has some sort of charcoal or something new in there lol ...helps a bit...but I also use Nascent ....however like Pinky stated Beano works great also for a lot of people....as for cleansing after emptying I used to do the same thing as Immarsh

Login to see image

Login to see image

, did that for years, but now I sometimes use those little alcohol sanitary wipes after using toilet paper, I have lock-n-roll ...I never really have much trouble.....

Login to see image

Login to see image

Great ideas in here as usual

Login to see image

Login to see image

teddyj9
Dec 06, 2010 3:33 pm
Thanks for the tip Sleepy.  This is only my fourth month with an ostomy and I'm still learning a lot about it.  Great site!