Using Convex Barrier Rings with Flat Stoma Bags - Any Experiences?

Replies
Views
gsed.watson
Jul 12, 2024 7:37 pm

Hi guys,

I met my stoma nurse this week as I wanted to try other options because of leaks. She said I should go back to using flat bags. She gave me some to use, and I usually use a barrier ring in my stoma bag as my output comes from the bottom of my stoma near the skin. I seem to be leaking with the flat bags. I've got Coloplast and Hollister. I was looking at where the stoma output is, and it's like the flat bag doesn't hold the stoma up to let the output go into the bag. They are hesitant about me using my convex bags anymore. I wondered if anyone has tried a convex ring with a flat bag. I have prepped the skin and all those things right, so all of that is fine. I just wanted to know if anyone has used that mix of products.

TerryLT
Jul 12, 2024 9:03 pm

I guess I'm not sure what you are asking here. A convex ring? Do you mean a barrier ring? A barrier ring is neither convex nor not; it's just a ring. Are you asking about using a barrier ring with a flat bag as opposed to a convex bag? I've used a barrier ring with both, but for me, the convex has always been better at preventing leaks, with or without a barrier ring.

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Mysterious Mose
Jul 12, 2024 9:16 pm

I'm with Terry. If we are talking about flat or convex barriers, then convex is much less prone to leaks. What is the nurse giving you as evidence as to why convex is no good for you?

In regards to a "flat bag," I am unclear as to what that can be. All the bags are flat until we poop in them. 🥸

Daniel

Kas
Jul 12, 2024 10:20 pm

I use a convex barrier and a regular ring. I did try the convex rings, but they did not work for me - they aren't very moldable. The non-convex (flat) barriers didn't work for me due to leakage.

I guess I'd ask your ostomy nurse what her rationale for advising a flat barrier versus a convex barrier is. Ultimately, no matter what anyone tells you to do, you need to do what's most comfortable and what works for you.

gsed.watson
Jul 13, 2024 2:40 am
Reply to TerryLT

I am asking if someone has used a barrier ring with flat bags. The nurses don't want me using a convex bag, so I was wondering if people have used the option of a convex ring and flat bag. When you say you use both, is that a convex barrier ring and convex bag or a convex barrier ring with a flat bag?

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
gsed.watson
Jul 13, 2024 2:41 am
Reply to Kas

This makes sense, thank you. Yeah, we will be touching base on Monday.

warrior
Jul 13, 2024 3:28 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Yes, agreed. What the heck is a flat bag? As opposed to what other bag? Really? Our bags are flat. Period. Normally flat.

Beachboy
Jul 13, 2024 4:49 am
Reply to gsed.watson

I'm using the Hollister 2-piece system: wafer with snap-on bag.

I put a Coloplast 2-inch diameter moldable ring underneath my Hollister wafer, then snap the bag on the wafer.

I have a colostomy.

eefyjig
Jul 13, 2024 2:07 pm

I had some leaking issues a few years back and, out of desperation, tried a convex ring with my convex bag. It actually helped, but I gradually was able to go back to a flatter ring (less expensive) and have been fine since then. I have always leaked with a flat barrier bag, even when a stoma nurse suggested I use one once. I think you have to have flawlessly flat skin around a sufficiently protruding stoma to use a flat bag.

TerryLT
Jul 13, 2024 7:59 pm

I am confused! What is a convex barrier ring? How is one ring different from another, other than the brand, or perhaps the thickness?

Terry

eefyjig
Jul 13, 2024 8:31 pm
Reply to TerryLT

Login to see image

TerryLT
Jul 13, 2024 9:08 pm
Reply to eefyjig

Thank you! You learn something every day, if you're lucky.

Terry

Little Squirt
Jul 13, 2024 10:13 pm
Reply to gsed.watson

I use a plastic ring that goes in my flange to make it slightly convex. (I use a 2-piece Convotec) It was a game changer for me.

Mrivera8
Jul 13, 2024 11:29 pm

Hi there! I currently use a barrier ring and flat wafer with my ileostomy. However, the stoma I had before this one was nearly flush with my skin, so I used the barrier rings with convex wafers, and that solved the leaking issues for me.

gsed.watson
Jul 14, 2024 6:57 pm
Reply to eefyjig

I totally agree about the skin for a flat bag, and I don't. I will be updating the nurse to let them know how I have gotten on. I will try two other bags and see if they work with a barrier ring; then, if not, see what they suggest. Thank you for your reply.

gsed.watson
Jul 14, 2024 6:59 pm
Reply to Mrivera8

I was using a convex wafer and barrier ring which had fewer leaks, but they then said they wanted me to not use a convex bag. 🤦🏾‍♀️ But thank you, I think once I find the right mix, I will be okay.

Mysterious Mose
Jul 14, 2024 9:13 pm
Reply to eefyjig

Yeah! Once I get back to looking like this guy, I will go back to a flat wafer! 🤣

Login to see image

onecoolnana12
Jul 15, 2024 4:29 pm

I wear a one-piece closed flat bag/pouch (Assura 6212110) and that's all. I first put Coloplast protective skin barrier prep around my stoma, use my hair dryer to heat/soften the pouch, and then apply it. The stoma nurse had me doing, let me put it this way, I figured it out by myself. I had a loop colostomy for 8 years and after having a hernia, my doctor suggested that I revise it to an end colostomy and fix the hernia at the same time because my stoma was permanent and could not be reversed. I did have problems with my appliance leaking and convex rings just weren't working, so I tried not using anything but what I said and it works perfectly. I really liked the 2-piece, but my colostomy is at my waistline and I can't bend with those. I don't always use the pouch; sometimes I use Assura (made by Coloplast) 1-piece cap. Good luck and I hope you find what's best for you soon.