What Does Mucus in a Urostomy Bag Indicate?

Replies
Views
Cairngormless
Dec 04, 2010 3:11 pm
I would like to know what the Mucus in my Urostomy Bag consists of and what is its natural function in the body?
gutenberg
Dec 07, 2010 2:37 am

Hi cairngormless, don't know if this will help or not and i can't even remember when this all happened, somewhere between one of the four surgeries ending up with an ileostomy, but I do remember whenever, or sometimes, whenever I would urinate and was nearly finished, I would get this mucus trailing off with a hell of a burning. I brought this up with my surgeon and he said not to worry, it will pass, it did but with all the morphine in my body I suppose anything would pass. By the time I was ready to leave the hospital it only happened occasionally before I left and when I got home. All these operations really played havoc with my memory, I wish you luck in your endeavor, Ed
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Tiggy
Dec 09, 2010 9:12 pm
I have honestly never heard of such a thing, though I know a lot about bowel movement mucus. I hope you get this straightened out soon!
thegoodlife
Jan 25, 2011 1:54 pm
When I was first learning from the nurses how to change the urostomy pouch, one of them told me that the stoma creates mucus and it is perfectly natural. So it doesn't come from the urine in the case of a urostomy, but from the stoma, and is nothing to worry about. it'll always be there. The only problem I've had occasionally is to have a piece of mucus be large enuff to clog the valve when I'm emptying it. I put my hand around the part of the bag closest to the stoma, creating a sort of vacuum, or balloon effect, then with the other hand, I squeeze the bag and the stuck piece usually pops out of the valve so I can complete the emptying process.

Don't  know if anyone else has had this problem with a urostomy pouch, but figured it couldn't hurt to mention it, just in case it can help you or anyone else, when suddenly the pouch stops draining.