Challenges

Replies
Views
lynsie
Mar 11, 2011 9:34 pm
still worried about going too far away from home...osty drains constantly - 12xday or more

was able to venture out couples times...its great!  out to dinner, but always in need of a ride, buses scare me, especially if i had eaten.  go to appts, outings in am on empty stomach.

on top have largest stomach hernia ever...literally no muscles, due to surgeries and infection of bladder...diverticulosis, also fistula on left side...which oozes stinky honey...but usually twice every month or so...it is winter and can't wait for spring walks!!!  waiting for AISH, disability income...had 6 surgeries this past summer...thought i was to be in hosp 3/4 days ended up 4 mos - 3 weeks in coma!!!  however, i did lose weight!! - lol  tummy tuck i call it

sons visit and help, but you know boys when it comes to helping w cleaning!!!  try and keep my wits together, beenwatch tv lots/facebook!  can't wait for spring walks!!  don't think stomach muscles grow back?
eddie
Mar 12, 2011 12:00 am

Login to see image

I am so sorry you have had such a rough time, It is so difficult, each of us has had our little red wagon of S**t we drag behind us. But we have each other to share with cry with and maybe just get a little drunk with!  Wishing you many more outings in the near future!  Hang in there!!!

eddie
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Mar 12, 2011 8:22 am
I know how you feel How does that saying go been there done that. After 3 months in hospital had to learn to walk all over again. One year later still  cann't do buss. Live in small town so bought mobilty scooter don't have to wait for any one to take me shoppint,etc. still have open wound from Hartman op, after op doctors here made me wear a stomach belt helps the stomach muscles and back.

Login to see image

nogutz
Mar 13, 2011 4:15 am
Hi all:

I  hear you on been there, coma and septic too!108lbs leaving hospital. So I  use this one pill called Codeine Phosphate this does help me with thicker poop and  less trips to the john.    hope this can be some help
junopete
Mar 13, 2011 10:11 am
Nogutz

I don't mean to come down and be the heavy.

You need to get your act together on your medications.

Codeine Phosphate does not "thicken poop"

Codeine Phosphate, is an opiate that slows down the peristaltic muscle movement of the intestine.  Allowing a longer transit time, which enables the intestine to absorb more water and electrolytes back into your body.

Rick.....

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Snowwhite
Mar 13, 2011 10:13 pm
Hi. I can relate....emptying bag 20-30 times a day. Some companies offer overnight/high output pouches. I contacted Convetec and Coloplast to get free samples of these pouches. My wafer is the same and I can interchange the bags from regular to a high output. Good luck.
lynsie
Mar 14, 2011 12:56 am
thanks for input, at least have pc - helps some

cant wait for spring walks!!

when i came home fr hosp. weighed 115 - now 135lbs!!  like to stay here!

and  not on medications!!

some days are boring but finding ways to cope (lonely)

still enjoy a cooler!!  sons visit/help what they can...24/15yrs old

sometimes i feel like i'm stuck...but w a new year...abl to get out more!!

this winter is bringing me down...afraid to walk in case i fall down, ocassional to corner store!!

thanks for inputs
lynsie
Mar 14, 2011 1:03 am
not on meds, have hernia belt; just uncomfortable...

get all supplies free due to treaty status

need car...thanks
ron in mich
Mar 14, 2011 3:57 am
hi lynsie yeah i hear you about winter we get a lot of snow here and can,t wait to walk my dog on the local trails and warmer weather.   ron in mich
Past Member
Mar 14, 2011 5:41 am
Hi lynsie, you should see your doctor and get something to slow your output down, and take it 30/60 minutes before you eat.
beatrice
Mar 14, 2011 5:55 pm
Agree with Junopete. Slower gut activity is a side effect of the opiate drug which is for pain.

Docs have other meds for slow output if that is what is necessary. It's tricky ... you don't want to slow things to the blockage point.

I have good results using food. I feel better when my output is more on the watery side (don't know why) but if I want to thicken things up ... a ripe banana, some marshmallows, potato chips, rice do the trick. Chew well.

Also, if you want to have the output less slushy once it's in the bag ... you can put a few mini marshmallows in the bag.

Hey, who doesn't want an excuse to eat potato chips?

Login to see image

all the best,

Beatrice