Leaks

Replies
Views
pussycat
Apr 02, 2011 10:53 am

Login to see image

Hi there,

I change my bag every day, to combat leeks, and sometimes it still leaks,

but in the U.K. we do not have to pay for stoma products, so we are really lucky. I,ve tried the sealants and rings but with a small stoma, retraction is always going to be a problem,

I too, have a lot of scarring, I'm on my third stoma now, it is about 1.5 inches, which horrified me to begin with, but I don't get retraction anymore. best wishes to all
Xerxes
Apr 02, 2011 3:41 pm
Pussycat,

When you wash around the stoma do you use a perfumed soap? If you do, DON"t. I found out early on that perfumed soap prevents a strong attachment of the durahesive or stomahesive wafer. At first I would have to constantly change because of leakage. Also, check into the type of wafer that you are using. For many years I used the stomahesive wafer by Hollister, but within the last year I have switched to the Convatec dermahesive. I found the latter to be far superior. Goodl luck!

X_
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Angel
Apr 02, 2011 6:46 pm

Login to see image

Hi all

I now what you are going through as i have spent many years dealing with leaks night and day , not wanting to go out in case. But now i have just had my stoma reformed and success

Login to see image

no more leaks so far but its early days yet but i am hopeful all will be well. I am using the sensura pouch by coloplast and i find them very good and they are easy to clean. So good luck and i hope all stays well with you.

Angel xx
Past Member
Apr 02, 2011 7:08 pm
Hi pussycat,

Have you tried using Coloplast convex light?
lottagelady
Apr 02, 2011 8:24 pm
I reckon if you are still having leaks daily, then you haven't found the right product for your particular stoma.

It may be that you are actually changing it too often and the skin under the wafer is 'objecting'?

Another thought, I found out 5 years after I had my stoma that I wasn't cutting the hole in my wafer large enough and the Stoma Nurse almost doubled in size the hole I was cutting for myself!

I use a hairdryer a lot to ensure everything is really dry before I apply it which I find helps too, as does warming your pouch on a radiator beforehand (not directly, on top of a warm towel) as does the use of Adapt Rings.

Hope something there may help!

Take care

Rach xxx

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
airforce1
Apr 03, 2011 4:38 am
i use convetec seals look like half moons
Feff
Apr 03, 2011 11:16 pm
Hi Pussycat,

I had my illeostomy just 8 weeks ago (my first post on here so be gentle with me all lol!), I was having problems with leaks as the wafer didn't seem to be sticking properly on the left (by my navel). Got a couple of tips you could try........

I found that after removing the bag and cleaning the area there was always a residue of adhesive (couldn't see it but it was there). So what I do now is spray (Appeel) adhesive remover onto a dry wipe and thouroughly wipe/gently rub again, this removes any residue.

The second tip is to use a bag which has loops for a belt (I changed to Hollister 56800), and wear a clip on belt for just an hour or so after changing the bag.

After using this method of using the Appeel spray and the belt the wafer is stuck solid and I haven't had another leak (5 weeks!!!)

Hope this is useful to you

cheers

Jeff
gilly
Apr 05, 2011 2:38 pm
Hi

Just posted this on another link but then spotted yours and thought I would repost in case you didnt see it.

I have had much the same problems over the past months and recently found a new product via my stoma nurse. Its by a company called OakMed and is called Microskin Urostomy with window - Code is TC1300 which you cut to size. It was a little tricky to get the hang of as so fine - literally a second skin - but its amazing!! As you are in UK as well check it out on www.Oakmed.co.uk or freephone 0800 592786 for a sample. It has changed my life and maybe it will work for you too. Good luck

Login to see image

wellyboots
Apr 24, 2013 3:28 pm
Saw your post and have decided to give the Oakmead product a try.  Always good to see what is new on the market.  However when I go to order a sample on their website it says the TC1300 is an illeostomy product.    Is that right?  Anyway, I've ordered a sample of the MJ1900 as well to be on the safe side!  Thanks for the post. AJW
pussycat
Apr 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Hi Xerxes,

I know it's weird but I have only just received this comment from you.

I only ever use warm water and swabs to clean the stoma and around. The less chemicals used the better and the less time any excrement is in touch with the skin the better.

We ileostomists have to remember that the our output is very rich in stomach acids and it

can really burn, if left in contact for with the skin for too long,

best regards to all

marilyn
gutenberg
Apr 26, 2013 11:11 pm
Hi Marilyn I see you started this post nearly two years ago and I hope by now you've overcome your problems. But now that I'm here I thought I'd pass along this tip I've been using for quite a while and really helped me. What I do is after I have everything cleaned and dry I use an old makeup brush and holding it upside down spray a little stoma powder on the brush and start at the top of the stoma and brush lightly all around the stoma and going all around where the wafer meets the skin, then I go over the same area and brush away any excess powder and I have found this to really help the wafer to seal really well, AND, that's my two cents worth. I hope all is well with you, take care, Ed