How much fluid intake is sufficient?

Replies
Views
camboron68
Oct 18, 2024 9:42 pm

Hello again, everyone!
I had so much great feedback from my first question,  I thought I would ask one more?  

Eight weeks into being new to colostomy,  Things have been going very well, to be honest actually a lot better than I anticipated being an elective surgery. Yes, I did choose this!   Had an injury to my spinal cord at C4 level in 2008, if anyone knows anything about spinal cord injuries, they know bladder and bowel issues!   My bladder is under control that I can deal with!  the bowel has been a thorn in my side for many years so after about a year and a half of research and a lot of thinking,   Talked to a bunch of doctors and then a surgeon and went through with it!  It’s been a life changer for me So far!    Now the reason for the question, I have a serious problem, drinking water, and other fluids to excess!  Everyone says you have to drink 2 1/2 L per per day to my US friends that’s like over half a gallon!   That’s a lot of fluid I get nauseous!!!   I have not had any problem with output. The consistency is quite soft, almost liquidy at points for being a colostomy not an ileostomy!  The portion of the colon was the upper descending quite a ways up from the sigmoid colon, if I’m using the word correctly?   Anyways, I just wanted to find out what peoples input was on how much fluid that one really has to consume to stay hydrated. I’m really trying here but some days it’s really hard!!  I’ve tried water, sports drinks, milk and chocolate milk.   I can get close to 2 L a day, is this adequate?   I know the theory is When eating to chew chew chew and then chew some more 😂.   Please, any insight would be much appreciated!     And sorry for rambling I use voice to text so the grammar isn’t always correct! 

thanks Cameron 

w30bob
Oct 18, 2024 10:04 pm

Hi C,

The 2.5 liters is an estimate, but not everyone needs anywhere near that to stay hydrated..........it just depends on how much water your cells need throughout the day and how much you perspire.  The easiest way to tell how much you should be drinking is to see how well you're hydrated.  First, look at the color of your pee........it's really the best indicator.  Clear is ideal, but a slightly yellow or tinge of straw colored urine is fine.  If it's any darker than that.........you need more fluids.  The second way is the skin pinch test.  You can do this during the day when you don't have to pee.  Simply take your index finger and thumb from one hand and pinch the skin on the back of your other hand and pull it up.  Then let it go, and if it snaps back instantly........you're fully hydrated.  If it lingers a bit..........drink more.  It's really that simple. 

Now if you find your needing to hydrate more often most of the time then you should probably check your urine volume over 24 hours.  Meaning record how much you drink during a 24 hr period and also measure how much you pee in that same time.  I don't recall the ratios off hand, but an average person should be peeing at least 1.5 liters in 24 hours.  If not you're kidneys are being stressed and that usually doesn't end well.  

Hope this helps!

;O)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

kittybou
Oct 18, 2024 10:59 pm

My Dr. told me at the minimum, 4 bottles of water a day.I can get 2 down maybe 3.  He also told me me to leave bottles around the house and sip when I see the bottle.

My tiny,baby puppy loved that idea. He stole the bottles and crushed them. 

Login to see image

w30bob
Oct 18, 2024 11:30 pm
Reply to kittybou

Yes, my dog seems to loves destroying plastic bottles.......after she removes the cap by twisting it off! 

;O) 

Beth22
Oct 19, 2024 1:54 am

I had a dog that did that.. would take any plastic bottle run away with it , if you were outside you could put your bottle down she would watch and wait and sneak it without you knowing it lol and she had a spot where she would hide them all, in a hole she dug and some she would bury .. needless to say when we moved we found her stash lol 

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
Axl
Oct 19, 2024 10:07 am

Hi there

Pretty much what Bob said, although you could add a 1/4 teaspoon of quality salt to any litre you drink.