Telling People about the ostomy

Replies
Views
narrator
Apr 03, 2010 10:28 am
I have never been one to tell people I know about my ileostomy. Not out of shame or anything like that. I wouldn't be still alive without it. I guess I just figured that I didn't want it to define me. Or maybe I didn't want to have to explain it to the uninformed. Feces is not your typical water cooler conversation.(I'd almost prefer it to the constant chatter about Dancing with the Starts, Survivor, etc. etc.) In fact, until four or five years ago none of my coworkers knew. There is nothing like publishing an ostomy novel to out you as someone who has one. But it wasn't a big deal. Not surprisingly, it didn't make any difference in how they saw me. And it maybe it easier to be able to say things like I edited a newsletter for the local ostomy chapter rather than the more ambiguous term "non-profit group." And then when my daughter also needed ostomy surgery, I didn't have to launch into any explanations of what kind of surgery - I just told them it was the same as I had done, so the book did me a favor really.

So I am still not quick to tell new people about the ostomy, and that's okay, too. It still doesn't define who I am; it is just one part of me. Well, perhaps I am just a little quicker to tell people, thanks to that darn book.
Past Member
Apr 03, 2010 11:34 pm
Totally agree with not wanting to be defined by an ostomy...firstly woman, daughter, sister, friend, girlfriend, lover, mate and then may be ostomate!

I did actually tell all my co-workers but I work in a medical environment so was no big deal as most actually knew what one was but as with most things in life it is always on a need to know basis. My work mates were just happy to see me healthy for a change!

Have enjoyed reading your blog so
I am really curious as to where I can get a copy of your book!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Apr 03, 2010 11:46 pm
And I think I just answered my question with a look at the classifieds!!!
Amazon awaits!
Cheers!
narrator
Apr 04, 2010 8:51 am
Thank you for your interest. It was an e-mail from the site administrator that suggested I do a classified ad. Promoting my book is not exactly my strong point! Where in the U.S. are you visiting?
Past Member
Apr 05, 2010 12:41 am
Staying in KY (with a fellow ostomate I met on here actually).
"Caught Holding the Bag" is on order and I am patiently awaiting its arrival!
Cheers!
Jo x

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
CALYPSO
Apr 19, 2010 10:04 am
I felt terribly ashamed about my ileostomy, I decided if I didn't want anybody to know, don't say a word. That included my family. I didn't want the sympathetic looks or the knowing glances. It's been 10 months now and I am still relieved no one knows, that's the way I want to keep it! Good luck with your book.
JeffK
Apr 23, 2010 4:02 pm
I not ashamed or shy. I will talk about if I am asked, usualy after my Ileo tries to join the conversation. I will not bring the topic up in conversation though. I will not let my Ileo change who I am and what I like to do, but it has modify how I do things. "Just like getting older has."
narrator
Apr 24, 2010 12:16 am
Hmm... well, I still don't bring it up in conversation, even with those that know about it, but I am glad there are some who do know. Mostly for the reason I mentioned - if my daughter's problems with her ostomy come up, I don't have to explain all that or state it vaguely.