My Surgical Nightmare: From Tears to Colostomy

Replies
Views
jenaustin26
Feb 15, 2011 3:05 pm

I am Jen. Hi. I had a big baby which caused a 3rd degree tear. This was repaired in theatre 2 hours later, or so I thought. I had 6 months of healing and occasional incontinence, then surgeons got involved and sent me for tests, and 12 months later I was told I needed a major repair of the sphincter and a rectocele. 6 months later, an operation appointment came through for December 16, 2010. I met the surgeon on the morning of the operation, and he was arrogant and cocky; I just thought he better know what he is doing. All repairs were done, and I woke up in complete and unbelievable pain, crying as no pain relief worked. I couldn't feel my bladder, it hurt too much to move, and I had a catheter inserted and instantly filled the large bag. The pain relief wasn't working, and I felt awful asking for pain relief and was refused a lot of the time as I had as much as the doctor had prescribed. I ended up crying pretty much for 3 days with the occasional top-up of morphine. 6 days after the operation, I went home and was told to eat, poo, and sleep normally and shower twice a day to keep the area clean, which I did. I had a very messy few days as I leaked continuously over Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Boxing Day. I had enough, then started to feel no pain and thought I was on the road to recovery. Yay... not!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woke up 3 days after Boxing Day and felt awful, ended up back in A&E with a roaring infection.

The surgeons took me back to theatre and said the wound had broken down and was too soft to repair, so I would need a colostomy to give the wounds on my bottom time to heal.

I cried when the nurse came to mark my belly and said I didn't want it, but she said it would be best for wound healing.

I ended up in more pain and had to deal with a bag, no fair.

The colostomy has turned out to be more trouble than the incontinence itself, and I wish I hadn't gone for the operation now.

I have had to change the bag at least twice a day for the last 6 weeks due to major leaks, which have meant 2 new mattresses as covers didn't work. Then I found a convex bag with a belt, and after lots of skin soreness and a sunken stoma, I have just had a whole 24 hours without changing as I am draining with no leaks.

I can't believe how much of a different person I am without having to worry about leaking from my seals and having to change less often. Sorry, I do rant on a bit. Message me if you want to chat or inbox xx

lottagelady
Feb 21, 2011 11:09 pm

Hi Jen - I have just read your blog again... and know you have been to see your surgeon today. If it is a colorectal surgeon you are seeing, please, please consider seeing my surgeon in London - I had a very similar problem and it has taken me 12 years to get it sorted... please do not end up in the same mess as I have, I wouldn't wish it on anyone - I am now really quite disabled... my new surgeon literally sorted it out in 45 minutes after 9 previous infected repairs. She has had LOADS of experience dealing with the same in Africa where women are thrown out of the family after bad births like yours... have a look at the website below and let me know if you want her name.
Rach xx

http://www.endfistula.org/

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

jenaustin26
Feb 22, 2011 12:05 am
thanks will have a look xx