Adjusting to My New Colostomy and Increased Gas Noises

Replies
Views
jalrein
Oct 08, 2024 12:08 am

I had an ileostomy for 4 years. Reversed, and moved to a colostomy on the other side of my abdomen. I have not changed my diet and I'm finding that my colostomy stoma makes a lot of "gas noises". My ileostomy was virtually silent compared to this. Can anyone tell me if that's normal or should I call my doctor/stoma nurse? I usually ask here first for help before consulting the medical people. (Reversal was due to a parastomal hernia and a minor prolapsed stoma)

amkevergreen
Oct 08, 2024 12:28 am

LOL... My left side colostomy was a noisy bugger... I would just proudly announce, "I tooted!" then give a big ol' grin.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Oct 08, 2024 6:32 am

I don’t think mine is very noisy. 🤷‍♂️ Sure sometimes it babbles but nothing out of control. 

Beachboy
Oct 08, 2024 7:22 am

My colostomy can get noisy, depending on what I eat.  When it burbles and toots, I pat it gently and say "Shoosh."  

Had some tooting last week during my dentist visit. He just chuckles.

MsPriss
Oct 08, 2024 1:12 pm

The bacteria in the colon make a lot of gas. The small intestine is a more liquid environment. 

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Rodr24
Oct 10, 2024 11:51 am

My stoma, affectionately named Stanley 😉, loved to announce his presence, but most commonly only at the most inconvenient of times. He'd be silent all morning and on the way to work, and once I sat down at my desk he'd start talking.

On my first day at work, I had prepared everyone I worked near so they wouldn't think I was being rude and fouling the common air supply. 🙃

But for me, gas was common and always noisy.

Beachboy
Oct 10, 2024 5:01 pm

Back when I was working... engineers started giving me grief, I surreptitiously let loose a big burp. Scattered them quickly.