Fear of Having a Ileostomy

Replies
Views
wheelie
Feb 28, 2011 8:42 pm
This is the first time I hsvr done this, I am having to have a ileostomy due to diverticuler diseasefor which I had my sigmoyed colon removed and my bowel reconnected but the disease has spread through my large bowel. And this is worring me. can any one give me some help.

Past Member
Feb 28, 2011 10:30 pm
When I first found out I was to have a permanent ileostomy my reaction was "no way!" But then after becoming quite ill, anaemic, down to about 90lb, constantly in pain and my gastroenterologist informing me if I didn't have the op I would have kidney failure and the possibility of future rectal cancer I thought "well, let's give it a try!"

Did some "Google" research (this is not the only site to find info) and came into contact with a fellow Perth girl the same age as me (44) who had an ileo since the age of 10 and through heaps of emails she assured me what to expect and that it was all going to be fine.

I finally know what it is to be healthy, and actually feel better than I did 20 years ago when I was first diagnosed with Crohn's disease (which I basically feel has buggered off for good!).

Had the op in 2008 (had the "lot" taken out) and can honestly say it is the best thing I ever did. Since then NO medication needed, NO pain and no probs with learning to live with my new attachment!

Have done things and gone places I never imagined I would be able to again. It's ALL good!

Cheers,

Jo
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

wheelie
Feb 28, 2011 10:54 pm
Hi J Maree,
Thank you for your reply it was very helpful
Past Member
Mar 03, 2011 5:38 am
I too had a real hard time when I was given no other choice if I wanted to live to have an ileostomy! I was lucky you could say..family members have and had crohns disease and a ileostomy! Not that I knew anything at suck a young age! I was 22 yrs old with a new husband and a new born baby and a new ostomy! Wow! I still cant believe I made it though those times! ....But you do...You ask questions to doctors to nurses to anyone that will listen! Education is the key learn every little thing to know about your disease! Get to know your body and what you can eat and what you cant!drink drink and then drink some more ! Talk too someone anyone about what your feeling! And if your feeling depressed tell your doctors and they can lead you to the right people! If you need any help with anything Im a nurse and a ostomate do go ahead and ask anything?