a vegetarian ostomate?

Replies
Views
jelly
Dec 28, 2011 11:42 pm
before i got sick, and before i got my ileostomy, i was a vegetarian, and a vegan at one point. i am use to eating meat now just so that i can get the protien i need, because i realized everything non-meat with a lot of protien also has a lot of fiber, and thats no good. so i was wondering if anyone is/or knows anyone who successfully is a vegetarian with an ostomy. and if so, any tips?

aunttiny
Dec 29, 2011 4:44 am
Hi Jelly, Gee, there is alot of stuff like yougrt, rice, sweet potatoes with no skin, baked potatoes with no skin,almost all veggies except celery and tomatoes and corn (corn just doesn't process with no colon.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Dec 29, 2011 7:05 pm
Hi Jelly,, i dont eat a lot of me only chicken and fish so i carnt say im a veggie,but there are a lot of things i do try such as soya meat,and i cook my veggies well, its trial and error really but i dont see any reasons why you carnt still be a vegeterian,as long as your careful not to eat stuff that can block the bowel/ie corn . I juice a lot of veggies with fruit so thats how i get round it. Good luck anyway keeps us updated on how you get on..tc ambies..
Beaner
Dec 30, 2011 5:09 am
Do you eat fish? It is easier on your system than meat for protein, also cheese and yogurt. It depends on what your basic problem was. If you eat nuts, make sure you chew them up into tiny pieces...I have found that I crave sunflower seeds, so I chew them up really well with my cereal ...certain foods eaten together will give you the protein you need and cancel out the gas, if that is your problem...
Bill
Dec 30, 2011 7:26 am
Hello Jelly, I have been a vegetarian for many years and it did not occur to me that I should change my ways or philosophy simply because of an ostomy. For me there does not appear to have been any noticeable difference in the before and after effects of an ostomy with regard to not eating meat. However, the ostomy has allowed me to eat many things that I could not eat before so perhaps some sort of balance has been achieved. Best wishesBill

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play
Past Member
Dec 30, 2011 10:47 pm
i tried becoming vegan and did so for a full year but i was still so anemic that it was actually not good for me-so I had to go back to eating meat.
Royal T
Jan 01, 2012 3:26 am
Hi jelly...I'm vegan and get my protein by eating nuts and seeds which I soak overnight. Soaking makes it easier for my digestive system. I also eat tofu and soya. The best thing I ever did was cut all dairy products from my diet. I feel much better and have more energy. I don't miss animal products and don't really appreciate the smell of meat now. I tried to go raw but I couldn't do it in the winter. I really miss something hot on a cold winter's night even if it's just s bowl of soup. I've really enjoyed experimenting with new recipes and new and different foods. I wish you luck!T...
tommy 6644
Jan 02, 2012 8:41 pm
after reading some of the remarks from nearly all the guy,s on this site ,that all i can say is ....guy,s youv,e been at sea to long..come back to dry land for awhile ...and please stop dribbling.
jelly
Jan 09, 2012 1:13 pm
hello all! thanks for all the help :) lately ive been sticking with just fish, so i will see if that cuts it.