A visit with some goodness

Replies
Views
toodie
Apr 06, 2011 6:17 am
Well, we had another big outing. A day of appointments can tucker me right out. I am usually 'game' for everything while I am out, however I come home and realize that my recovering body is tired and sore right from my nose to my toes.

We went to the hospital, saw the ET nurses for my first follow up since departing the hospital. It was great to see Jen, she is a super star! My husband really likes her too. What makes a great ET? Super star personally, funny, knowledgeable, kind and sensitive, insightful/intuitive i.e. knowing what your needs are. I could go on but I am sure you get the picture. To underscore what makes a bad ET, insensitive, know-it-all. 'nuff said.

We learned more on how to care for the stoma, when it's in need eg. size change, flange change, products to get to help with skin issues, food and water suggestions. Nothing that hasn't been posted, but unless you have it in your bathroom at time of need, or you have already experienced, what are you supposed to do?

What a strange world this is. I am sure that there is a better way to teach newbies. I have had a change in my stoma's size, bigger not smaller, go figure. And I had a small skin issue with no product or remedy on hand. Homecare, if you can get it, in this province doesn't want to touch you. They refer you to your stoma nurses, whom don't pick up the phone and don't make house calls.

We carried on to the surgeon's office. This too was our first appointment since leaving the hospital. I really wasn't sure what would occur, due to our history, I hoped that we could continue with this particular surgeon. And we did, only because it was a group effort to ensure we did. I believe this is key, as I am sure no one would disagree. But to be in our shoes, to face the surgeon who you could blame. Or for him to look us in the face and confidently express the future, the present and the past.

I should state that the surgeon was more than upset post surgery, that was visible and noticeable. My husband said that the surgeon and him had quite a revealing conversation just after surgery was completed. The surgeon also came to see me at least once a day while in hospital and was never rushed. So his demeanor was much the same while at the follow up.

We reviewed all my questions and concerns. He attempted to give me an 'out' by seeing a different surgeon and I thanked him but suggested that after what we all went through I would prefer to stay with him. We knew there were risks in undertaking this surgery, any surgery. I just happened to be the 'one', I am glad that I had a surgeon who knew how to stay with me, cared enough to try his hardest, showed his vulnerability, and allowed my forgiveness to touch his heart.

I know I will recover, I know I will prosper, I know I am not there yet.

Past Member
Apr 06, 2011 6:47 pm
YOU WILL RECOVER, YOU WILL PROSPER, IF YOU A STRONG WOMAN!! GREAT BLOG!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

toodie
Apr 06, 2011 7:30 pm
Thanks!