weight gain causing minor problems with my illeostomy

Replies
Views
lou
Jun 11, 2011 9:29 pm
SUNKEN STOMA)) ive had myurostomy for my urine about 19 yrs now and im also spina bifida and confined to a wheelchair so i gain weight very easy and the consultant said when i had it done that if i gain weight it can cause little problems with the stoma,,ie the crease has become wider in the skin wat i mean by that is the belly fat makes you have more creaseswhere its situated which means the flange doesnt fit right against the skin so is more prone to leakages ,i do use a convetec paste which helps to prevent sores and ulcers and also fills in any creases ,but also my stoma has sunken,, you can see it but it should be showing more ,so it doesnt actaully fit through the hole in the flange now doesnt cause me any pain or discomfort just hoped it wasnt something to worry about ,hope this makes sense ,,

JohnNotKen
Jun 11, 2011 8:51 pm
I have that trouble too. More or less since i got the bag. The stoma is right in the crease. I had a terable time getting it to stick at first. I have to use stick strips and bags with a kind of indented flange with 2 tabs at either side for a belt to go round my waste. thats the only way i can get it to stick properly.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

lou
Jun 11, 2011 9:18 pm
thanks john i was just a lil worried about the stoma been sunken it still works fine i pass urine propperly just was a lil worried incase it causes problems to the stoma cuz some of the belly fat hides it
JohnNotKen
Jun 11, 2011 9:22 pm
My stoma has never worked properly. I have a loop colostomy so my bowel is still conected to my botom. They said i would poo the odd time after i had my op but they didnt say i would still be goin 3 times a day as well as in the bag!!!
lou
mines been fine for years its just to weight gain that the flange doesnt fit propperly against the skin,only option i have is to loose weight i no this,its just very difficult when your not mobile like me been in a wheelchair

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
lou
that must be frustrating for u sometimes
mooza
Jun 12, 2011 6:07 am
hey lou i have put on weight but i use a one piece sesura which does suppose to help with creases my product number is 15537 it more oval the flange with little creases kinda and shallow convex so it pushes the stoma out more ..i got bad bac pain from my last op cant get it fixed so have put on extra 5kg's but yeah the sensura range with coloplast have been awsome also it is pre cut ...try get a few samples and no pesky bloody paste ....xx mooza
mooza
Jun 12, 2011 6:07 am
hey jon thats weird isnt it ?? chat too u soon mare ..lou always try new products see whats best for u ring the companys mine is perfect for me ...Best wishes darlz xx
lou
Jun 12, 2011 1:22 pm
aww thanks mooza i appreciate your help speak soon hugz xxx
Past Member
Jun 14, 2011 12:04 am
hi lou-I posted a blog about sunken stoma too as I am also having that problem-I think I changed my flange about 4 times in one week due to leakages. Not sure if I should get it checked because when I decide to call the surgeon, my stoma seems to pop out again. I take stool softeners daily-someone suggested that maybe I am dehydrated(which actually could be as I am not a big water drinker)-so I am still having this problem-and I too have gained weight and now finding that my flange is not staying on as long as it used to(I was able to get a week out of one flange-now lucky to get 3-4 days.
lou
Jun 16, 2011 9:48 pm
hey horsegurl ask the doc about arahesive powder helps with the weeping and soreness and yes u need to drink lots of water it does help,hope this helps you tc xx