Help ! need a little advice

Replies
Views
ld72
May 28, 2010 10:15 pm
hi can someone give me a little advice,  lately every time i change my bag it seems to bleed more and more where the stoma is attached to my skin, it looks like little dots of blood.  just wondered if anyone knows why this is happening and any tips on how to stop it  thanks  lisa
bikerboy
May 28, 2010 10:40 pm
you might be cutting the wafer to big and the feces is getting on the skin.try cutting a smaller hole or putting some stoma paste on the wafer it works for me
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

WOUNDED DOE
May 28, 2010 11:14 pm
I agree with bikerboy ....my first thoughts exactly....ileostomate of 34 years here

Login to see image

if any skin is exposed around the stoma, that acidic feces will break down the skin quite fast and cause red, sore, even bleeding skin  

Login to see image

....of course there are other reasons possible but this first thought on our minds is most likely.  Let us know how you're doing sweetie

Login to see image

~Doe
ld72
May 29, 2010 8:35 am
thanks guys  i will give it a go........its great having this advice  and nice bike  bikerboy
PJT
May 30, 2010 5:53 pm
Like Doe, I've had my ileostomy forever and the most important thing, as the others mentioned, in to protect your skin. My technique for putting on a fresh bag is to apply four 2" pieces of stomahesive strips onto the skin around the stoma, like a picture frame. I get as close to the base of the stoma as possible. Just recently I stopped using skin-prep and find I get better adhesion.

Next, I put on my Suf-Fit wafer on top of the stomahesive strips I just applied. After that I take another piece of Stomahesive strip about 4" long, I fold it the long way into sort of a tube and then wrap that aroung the base of the stoma, over the Sur-Fit wafer. Finally I put tape around the edge of the tape on the wafer and pop on a bag. It's very secure and lasts me about 5 to 7 days, depending on the weather.

PJT

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
kevin440
May 30, 2010 7:47 pm
After a while it will stop...the stoma bleeds because it is very sensitive...but after a while it will stop bleeding altogether. I second the other posts here...
GACWOCN
May 30, 2010 8:10 pm
Hello Lisa,

A small amount of blood from the stoma caused by trauma such as; wiping with a cloth, bumped by the wafer, etc, can be normal.  The stoma that you see is actually the inside of your intestine (small or large)...your intestine was brought out through a small incision in your abdomen, folded back onto itself and sutured (sewn) to the skin.   Since the inside of the intestine was very vascular (for absorption purposes), the stoma is very vascular as well...which gives it the rich red color.  The vascular area is sensitive to trauma and tends to bleed easily.

When the stoma is sewn to the skin, the mucosal lining of the intestine can be transplanted around the stoma during the process.  This can lead to little "buds" of pink tissue growing around the stoma.   There can also be bleeding from "buds" of tissue that can develope around the stoma.   The "buds" are not usually a problem unless they interfere with pouching.

This may have been more than you asked for

Login to see image

...hope it helped

Joy
jimmyoz
May 30, 2010 10:50 pm
I use a Convatec moldableSkin Barrier. You mold it to approx. size of your stoma and it contracts to your stoma and will not allow any skin to show.
Past Member
May 31, 2010 6:28 am
Hi Lisa, I have only had my iliostomy for 10 weeks but got the bleeding under control using the c powder.  Also, I use a convex wafer which keeps me nice and clean and dry.  I got this tip from beyondpar.  So i put on powder, then adhesive wipe, then a sprinkle of powder then more adhesive wipe, then the wafer.  I don't use glues or anything.  I change every 5 days because I do a lot of yoga so I don't want to take any chances, but when I take it off, there is absolutely no leakage when I use the convex (even though my stoma protrudes out).   D.
petec65
May 31, 2010 8:22 am
Hi ld72. I've had my stoma since March 2009 and I have always used 'Adapt Barrier Rings' and 'Adapt Stoma Powder' works for me most of the time. You can get it on the NHS ........just ask you bag supplier. Hope you get it sorted soon. Pete
bepositive
May 31, 2010 2:59 pm
May be you have developed bacterial infection. Try using adept paste to prevent faeces from coming in contact with the skin around the stoma and also some anti bacterial solution each time you change the wafer
blackpooljean
Jun 07, 2010 1:14 pm
I use convatec bags the stomahesive backing is just so healing and I never have a skin problem.