"The Talk"

Replies
Views
matts12
Jul 13, 2011 1:46 pm

So real quick before I head in for work…

Had "the talk" with the girl I've been seeing last night. Told her about the soft-serve nozzle in my abdomen (using slightly different terminology of course). It actually went really well!

It helps that she's pretty awesome. I pretty much had her figured for someone who could handle it but you never know. Some people just have hangups. Even cool people like you & me. It's not really a rational thing but it happens from time to time.

So here are my nebulous thoughts on the matter this morning. Maybe it will help some of you. Some may scoff :)

1) This one applies to life in general, ostomates and non-ostomates: avoid shallow people

2) The person you are interested in can only be as comfortable with your situation as you are.

3) Rehearsing one side of a conversation is useless. "Display some @#$!ing adaptability!" (Bonus points if you recognize the quote)

I can't believe how great these past few months have been since surgery and healing up. They've just been filled with things I never thought I'd be able to do again!

I think that's pretty much it. For now.

Good luck!

Matt

PJT
Jul 13, 2011 5:26 pm
I'm happy for you Matt and glad you're over that hurdle.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Jul 13, 2011 6:02 pm
I know what you mean about that nozzle, have a similar problem, heh, heh

Jacksprat
Past Member
Jul 14, 2011 10:56 am
"Congratulations" Matt !!!! You've suceeded in conquering what we all fear the most, rejection. You braved those scary water's WITH diginity and WITHOUT expectation.

See, we ARE just "PERFECT" human specimens, as valuable as any, braver than most and deserve a relationship on a level playing field. "YOU GO BUDDY". I wish you joy, love, excitement, chill bumps, day dreams, and prosperity.
BEG
Past Member
Jul 14, 2011 12:14 pm
Go get him, BEG!!

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
Past Member
Jul 14, 2011 7:57 pm
Got him Jack....LOL

Past Member
Jul 15, 2011 7:20 pm
Completely understand. Have been married 18 yrs.When we met,not sure he would want a 52 yr old with a bag glued to her. How wrong I was.
Millie2001
Jul 17, 2011 7:53 pm
I can't believe someone else calls it "The Talk", Im so glad it went well for you, I have had numerous experiences of "The Talk" and have only had 1 guy say he had difficulties dealing with it. Unfortunetly what I have found is that stoma or no stoma you can still get used and as it turns out the one guy I have the most respect for now is the one who was honest with me from the begining lol.

I really hope everything goes well for you and your new lady and believe that I will have more success when I am more confortable with my own situation, you could not be more right about comment number 2 if you tried lol!!!

You could say its a work in progress lol
Past Member
Jul 17, 2011 9:15 pm
Guessing item 3 quote for the Bonus Points:
from the film "Withnail and I" ???

matts12
Jul 21, 2011 8:05 pm
Thanks, gang :)

@Orchid I was actually thinking of the book Cryptonomicon. But bonus points for the movie suggestion!