Post-Ileostomy Reversal - Managing Expectations and Concerns

Replies
Views
Welltree
Jul 03, 2024 3:36 am

My ileostomy is the result of endo. So I lost some rectum.

Should I expect to feel like I have to poop constantly for the rest of my life? Will I be constipated all the time?

I worry about hernias post-reversal too.

Does anyone have experience and advice on what to expect? Reversal is soon.

CrappyColon
Jul 03, 2024 3:59 am

So, did you only lose some rectum but still have your colon? An ileostomy reversal isn't a one-size-fits-all... I have no abdominal colon left, so what I have is an IRA (ileorectal anastomosis), but someone else might have a J-pouch, or an ileostomy reversal after giving parts of the GI system a break.

Oh no, no hernia yet at about 1.5 years with an IRA ☺️

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Welltree
Jul 05, 2024 4:20 pm
Reply to CrappyColon

Thank you for the information. I have most of my colon and half a rectum. I lost parts of the GI to endo. I actually have a really good GI system with no issues at all. But I was destroyed by the endo. So, I'm not sure what to expect when reconnected. I hope I don't end up feeling poopy 24/7 for the rest of my life. 😱

CrappyColon
Jul 05, 2024 4:46 pm
Reply to Welltree

Hey, I'm sorry endo sucks. Do you know what part of the colon they removed? When you say half a rectum, do you know how many inches you have? Or did your surgeon happen to mention an object to compare the length? Have they had you doing any pelvic floor therapy?

Boomer17
Jul 07, 2024 5:07 pm

Hi,

First, a little background: My ileostomy was due to Stage 1 rectal cancer surgery. They removed a little less than half of my rectum and a few inches of sigmoid colon. I just had my reversal 11 days ago, after having the ileostomy for 10 weeks. I was discharged 2 days after the reversal, with no dietary restrictions.

So far, I haven't experienced any uncontrolled leakage or any accidents overnight. I've experienced a little urgency, some instances of frequency, and loose stools, but so far, have been somewhat pleased with where I'm at. I still haven't left the house, and to be honest, I'm a bit anxious about venturing out away from a bathroom. My follow-up with the surgeon is this coming Thursday, so we'll see how I do leaving the house.

Also, they left my wound partly open to allow drainage. It's still draining a bit, but the wound looks good, with no signs of infection.

Wishing you all the best!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister

Play