iRRIGATION

Replies
Views
sherrybear
Jul 23, 2011 1:14 pm
i have been told that irriation would be good for me,I did go and learn how to do ti,just don;t know how good it is to do. So if there is someone there can help me make up my mind,i would love to hear from u.I was reading that u have to do it every day,well what happens if u can't and u have to be some where in a hurry,and u skip it ,What will happen then?

mooza
Jul 23, 2011 2:43 pm
sharom go for it give it a proper go darlz ...Whats the problem ok i will ask my friend at work i will print this page and show nancy...And i will get her to give me as much info you need. If i could i would do it xxxxx mooz xx
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Bill
Jul 23, 2011 2:18 pm
Hello sherrybear,
I would like to put my two-pennyworth into this post.
I decided to irrigate long before I went for an ostomy and I told the relevant people this.
The stoma nurse maintained that I should not start irrigating until 6weeks after the op. so that it had time to heal up and I reluctantly adhered to this timeframe.(In New Zealand the stoma nurse said it was 6months! but I can't believe that!)
I've been irrigating for a few months and it has been just as I expected(I was irrigating before the ostomy, so the sensations and management issues di not come as any surprise)
Irrigation, like most things in life are personal choice. (if it is deemed appropriate) Apparently only 2% of ostomates irrigate in the uk whereas in other countries it is considerably higher.
The Stoma nurse canme to my house to see that I had the right set-up and to show me what to do the first time. She poked her finger into the stoma and twisted it round to tell me the best position to hold the cone in placefor maximum water outlet.( Very useful to know)
Back to my own experiences.
Basically the irrigation process is one of pouring water into the stoma via a cone connected to a plastic bag hung at about shoulder hight (I use about 2 litres (4&a bit pints) If there is faecesimmediately withion the stoma it is sometimes a bit more of a job to get the water past without it evacating. However, once all the water is in it's just a matter of sitting and waiting unbtil the natural evacuation takes place down an irrigation sleeve which extends into the toilet( for me this is often about 20 minutes) but I wait for an hour to make sure that all that is coming out has done so. Whilst I am waiting after the 20 minutes I take the irrigation sleeve and seal off the end putting the bottom end under my belt sos that it is higher than the stoma and the other end and no leakages can occur. I usually walk around, do stuff or just watch TV until I am sure that nothing else is likely to come out. After that I put on a small bag and the job is finished. At present I am irrigating every day because I am working and don't want any discharge durin the day. However. I have been for two days without any need to irrigate. With regard to you question about waht happens if faeces comes out.- Well, if you didn't irrigate, it would come out in just the same way, only much more often.
I had difficulty with the adhesive on the irrigation sleeve which made me sore. So now I leave the bag base-plate on. I cut the plastic bag off it carefully and stick the irridrain baseplate over the one that's still in postion. that works fine for me. The other thing that I didn't like much was that my evacuation comes out with quite a force and splashes backwards and upwards in the plastic tubing. I cured this by inserting a cut off plastic container over th stoma so that the evacuation is guided down into the sleeve without splashback (the container is what our prawns come in!) In order to hold it in place and have both hands free I have another of the same containers on the outside of the plastic holding it in position with the belt tah comes with the stoma protector. It now all works satisfactorily. I did try the Hollister drain but that does not have adhesive and in order to get a reasonable seal it had to be far to tight for me to feel comfortable.
There is a very good utube illustration of irrigation by an Australian guy. - I just Googled 'stoma irrigation' and it came up along with some not so helpful ones.
For my part, I couldn't be bothered with emptying bags 4 to 5 times a day and much prefer one proper session followed by the near certainty that there will be no output for at least a full day. this gives me the relative 'freedom' to do things like bathing etc without a bag. I couldn't imagine not irigating!!
I hope this has been of some help to you in your decision making-
Why not give it a try. It's not going to do any harm and you can always go back to bag changing if you don't like it.
Best wishes
Bill
Sh@tHappens!
Jul 23, 2011 4:18 pm
Hi Sherry,

I think Bill is making it sound a lot harder than it really is!! Here in the states we have alot more options for irrigation products than they do in the UK! I would suggest going to the discussion boards on the United Ostomy Assoc. UOAA.org and check out the irrigation forum there, there is a wealth of information already there and alot of great, very helpful people on there that will answer any question you might have for us!!

Good luck!
Kellie
Bill
Jul 23, 2011 5:33 pm
Sorry if I rattled on a bit and made it sound difficult. It's NOT! I'm with Kelly & Mooza - Look it up and then just go for it.
Best wishes
Bill

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
noona
Jul 25, 2011 7:01 pm
I started Irrigation two month ago. I love it!!. It takes 50 minites everyday. I could go for two days but i just like to make sure so I irrigate every 24 hour. I would be very sad if they tell me stop irrigating. I don't know why its bad for you. well even its bad i will still irrigate lol. all my life being good no drinking, smoking and working out almost everyday. I still got cancer :( ....I am not scared anymore I would do anything that my heart disere. .good luck:)
sherrybear
Jul 25, 2011 11:42 pm
Thanks TO U ALL,I DO BELIEVE i WILL TRY IT OUT,IT DOES SOUND GOOD,AND NOT CHANGING BAGS ALL DAY. SO I'LL LET U ALL KNOW HOW I DO AND THANKS AGAIN. AND MOOZA MY DEAR FRIEND I'LL WAIT TO HEAR FROM U AND NANCY,THAKS TO U TOO.
mis010fit
Jul 25, 2011 11:41 pm
Are there any circumstances where one shouldn't irrigate? Is it only an option, or something that people have to do? Do you have to be taught how to do it? What do they do if an ostomate cannot irrigate? Sorry for all the questions, but I've been having more problems with less output. I have a Hartman's Pouch, due to pelvic outlet dysfunction/obstruction. No colon was removed. I don't have a colorectal Dr. anymore.
Irishgirl
Jul 26, 2011 2:16 am
I'm confused. this is the first I've heard of irrigating. I have a fairly new ostomy and I just empty the pouch when I go to the bathroom and I replace it twice a week. Am I missing something important?
mooza
Jul 26, 2011 4:11 am
irish girl u can only irrigate if you have a colostomy ....Me ileo no can do it and no one has too its if u want and can do it colostomy only but i think if u had a colostomy from coltis ,crohn,diverticulitis they dont want u messing round in case you tear the bowel .....Look it up on the web i have a stn i cant do it ileo just not gunna happen we empty soo much watery stuff colostomy is like you go to the loo wen and hopefully you did b4 the op if u go 2 times aq day they say u prob e,ty twice a day too irrigate colostomy keeps u not having to go u flush the intestine .xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxmooza
mooza
Jul 26, 2011 4:11 am
oh SHERRY IF U CANT DO IT TRY THE DRAINABLE POUCHES YOU WONT NEED TO CHANE JUST EMPTY AT THE BOTTOM CLOSED BAGS WELL THEY ARE CLOSED XXXX CHAT YA LATER MOOZA
Sh@tHappens!
Jul 26, 2011 1:50 pm
Mooza is right, you do have to have a end or sigmiod colostomy, but there are a few I know of that have other types that are sucessful. I have an end colostomy and Crohn's and I irrigate every 48 hours now (started every 24 then changed after my bowel was trained) and only wear a 4 stoma cap to protect my clothes and just in case they hold about 1/4 cup. I now have alot more freedom from leaks and skin problems!! You really have to be patient because it does take some time to reach the coveted 24 hours clear, but once your bowel is trained there are people that go up to 72 hours clear!! That's why I suggested going over to the UOAA discussion boards because they have a whole forum dedicated just to irrigation and there is instructions and pages of posts to read through. I'm not trying to have you leave this site, I just think you will find alot more info there so you can find out if it's for you! It really has changed my life!!Kellie
eily
Jul 27, 2011 9:10 pm
Hiya all, i have irrigated in the past and found it worked ok for me, but(there is always a but, lol)i got a hernia next to my stoma, (nothing 2 do with the irrigation i might add)had op in feb 2 fix the hernia, i now have another hernia, i seem to be prone to them.my question is...Can any1 tell me if i can still irrigate with a prominate hernia that i sometimes get pain from ...Eily xx
sherrybear
Jul 27, 2011 11:02 pm
Eily,I also have hernia's and they showed me how do irrigate knowing i had one,so my guess it is ok,my the way Eily this makes my 33 hernia.I also had surgert in Feb 8th doctor said it wouldn't come back again well it did and 2 others with it. i have one on the left side of stoma one below and one on the right side,and i'm still going to irrigate i do believe.I ALSO DO GET PAIN FROM THEM BUT CHECK WITH YOUR ET NURSE they can tell u more than doctors. SHERRYBEARxxx.
sherrybear
Jul 27, 2011 11:02 pm
I do have another question for u all,how do u know when it is time u have to irrigate,after u did? How do u know hen to put back on a bag and are u afraid just to wear a cap? Thanks again to u all,U all did help me out,xxxxxxx
mis010fit
Jul 28, 2011 8:50 pm
Please help! Is it a necessity to irrigate, or a preference? Do you actually have to be shown how to do it?I know that when another Dr. put a finger in the stoma, quite a ways in, I got very sharp pains.I have the Hartman's pouch colostomy. None of colon was removed. The surgeon never explained anything to me, before or after surgery. And I can no longer go back to her.
Carolw
Oct 10, 2011 2:37 am
Its a preference,I got in touch with my stoma nurse as I had no idea that this was an option untill I joined this site,she was with me the first time I tried,just to talk me through thinks and to make sure all was ok and that I was inserting the cone correct,she didnt touch my stoma.I wish someone had told me that it could have been possible to irrigate and not have to have found out 12months after my permanant colostomy as Im sure this would have helped with depression I suffered after my surgery.I call it my ring of confedence,ring around my butt after sitting on the loo,conferdence I have knowing that Im poo free and no smelly wind for 24-48hrs depending on what I eat or drink.It takes a while but as each time you do it you get better at it you just have to give it time,Its changed my live.x
Bill
Oct 10, 2011 5:14 am
Hello Carolw,Just a short note on the 'ring of confidence'cuased by the toilet seat. I found it very uncomfortable to sit on the normal seat for the period of irrigation so I cut a short piece of contiboard 9x17 to fit over the toilet and put an improvised cushion on it. Not only do I not have the 'ring' but it is so much more comfortable and gives a greater space for the irrigation tube. Further to that, when all is done, I can remove the board with the tube still in the loo and wash the tube down with without moving away. I find this much more 'convenient'. Best wishesBill
Carolw
Oct 11, 2011 12:04 pm
That sounds like a good idea Bill,I will have to get my husband doing a bit of DIY.This is what I love about this site always someone here to help.Thank you Bill x