The

Replies
Views
knellis2004
Dec 02, 2011 6:54 am
31 Pretty petite blonde blue eyed has a loving fiance of 6 years has been faced with the decision of total colon removal with bag or dealing with misery with meds for as long as my lil body can stand..surgeon told me with surgery 85% complete remission and no meds....how the freak to I choose? Been living in misery for years...what to do...the shit bag scared me to death!!

Bill
Dec 02, 2011 10:25 am
Hello knellis2004,Many of us have been in this very position. It took me more than twenty years from the first time that the consultant suggested I have a colostomy to the time I could no longer do without it. No one really wants one but if and when it becomes a necessity the adjustment seems to be that much easier. I would suggest(in the spirit of 'its' good to talk')that talking through all you doubts and fears with your fiance and asking for his comments and advice would be a good thing. Remember that he too will be making some cognitive and emotional adjustments and talking it through prior to opting for it might help to strengthen the relationship. Everyone is different but I found that there is really nothing to be afraid of with a shit-bag.(I've worked for a few shit-bags over the years and found that the only way to deal with them is to stand proud, be confident and be in control - much the same with an ostomy!)Best wishes Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

weewee
Dec 03, 2011 5:55 am
you were lucky that you get a choice but then again who would want to be on drugs that destroy other parts or just barley takes the pain away i didnt even know what was going to happen to me until i woke up from surgey,there it was my new friend,just think you are the same woman every where else you just poop different doent matter how it comes out its still poop the only differnce is in a bag is easy clean up in your pants is a big mess be thankful you have a choice
Past Member
Dec 03, 2011 12:53 pm
Hi knellis2004, you've got some great advice from Bill here. I can understand being scared, but for the quality of life, its impossible to beat and if it takes away some of your medications, please don't be scared. Less if those meds is better under any circumstance. Having a colostomy does take a little getting used to, but it really isn't so bad. As Bill says, Be confident and stand proud!. It would be interesting to get another woman's perspective though. But you'll always get plenty of support and advice here on this site which is wonderful. So, Good Luck and take good care, Colm
supernan
Dec 03, 2011 3:52 pm
Hello knellis 2004, I feel for you as I had this self same decision to make last September. I was lucky in the fact that I didn't have to consider a partner, was way past 31 (56 then) and was certainly not petite or blonde. However, it is still such a big decision to make that it caused many moments of indecision. My advice would be to talk it over with your fiance, weigh up all the pro's and cons and then MAKE YOUR OWN MIND up. The one thing that I can help with is that if you decide to have the colostomy (I did), then be prepared for an emotional roller coaster, BUT it does get better, I promise. You will be surprised how quickly you adapt. Although I won't say that life with a bag is always easy, it is a lot easier than what I was dealing with before. Once you have made your mind up you will feel a whole lot better I am sure, whichever way you go. All the best and take care.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
ron in mich
Dec 04, 2011 3:39 am
hi K i made that decision 26yrs. ago and glad i did, i was sick of doc. visits and meds. and do any activity i want and eat most foods. good luck with whatever you decide. ron
Past Member
Dec 04, 2011 9:51 pm
I had ulcerative colitis, was in my 20's when my consultant said I would need to have the colon removed. I refused and spent years fighting it, only to end up with cancerous cells forming. I have since has my colon removed. I had the choice of a bag or internal pouch. I opted for the bag because the pouch can give problems, and I'd had enough. The honest truth is - I wish I had had this dome earlier. It's a major op, It's a big change and I'll admit it's not easy. I now realise that the times I thought I was well - I wasn't, I was just better than when I was seriously ill. I can do so much more. Yes, I have to live with a bag, but it's not as bad as I thought. It will show you who your friends are, it may test your relationship, but you will have your life back. If you would like to chat anytime - get back to me. Good luck - best wishes, and in all honesty, it will work out in the end.
littlewheel
Dec 05, 2011 1:14 am
It is never an easy decision. I just wished I had mine done sooner. Does that tell you anything?Go for it!
Lalu
Dec 05, 2011 5:29 am
Humans are funny. I had no choice, other than to die. I hated it for the first year and a half and couldn't wait until I could get it reversed. In the last year I've tolerated it and now that I'm in a position to get it reversed, I'm as wishy-washy as you. There's no right or wrong answer for either of us. Both of our options have pros and cons. For a moment I thought I had it easier, since I know what it's like before and after, except reversals have their own issues. I think the best way to decide is to do what you're doing - get as much information as possible, maybe go to a support group meeting in your area if there is one. Good luck.
knellis2004
May 30, 2012 6:15 am
Ok...colon still intact but got this pretty little friend hanging around my mid section....need advice on the smallest and thinest appliance made....im 5'3...90lbs...31of age and am flipping the f out trying to figure out a bathing suit to go to the lake! I hate it so far...
knellis2004
May 30, 2012 6:15 am
Need advice from someone similar on not a 63mean year old fat man.....yeah that's who falter to me on the phone today trying to tell me the best appliance....
knellis2004
Jun 05, 2012 8:25 am
Ok...got the bag about a month ago...finance's fine with it, im fine with it, but Fuck the chance of getting a person to help with appliance selection, general questions, insurance questions, and freaking just questions about this life changing ordeal....going at it alone...been paying out of pocket for suppose so far still don't now how to get it all in check....please respond....this chick needs advice!!!!
gee07
Jun 05, 2012 8:48 am
Hi Knellis2004, me again, I have read your last post and seems you are still in a bit of a muddle.Can't help you with any insurance advice as I am in the UK. Even though I can use a stoma nurse, I haven't done so very much over the 41 yrs that I
gee07
Jun 05, 2012 8:57 am
con'd, Knellis sorry about that, my message just went... have had my stoma, as they seem to be really good or really crap. Anyway, I when needed to change my products, have gone onto all the stoma product companies via internet. Ask for as many sample packs you can get but it is important you get the correct size stoma opening. For that, you need to measure around it. This site is great but if someone like you has posted something months before we don't always see all the past messages unless we go into all of them, meaning a lot of continuality is lost. I can't see where you have said what company product you are using now, or if you have a 1 or 2 piece. Also why haven't you got a stoma nurse.You say, you are fine with the bag, well that's a great start to getting there.So if you can't get a nurse then you will have to research what's out there in the USA on your computer. Alot of them will help, even if it is to sell you something but you can work them out, I'm sure. I am only 5ft and even though my bag is site lower than yours I still need small bags, stopping them from hanging too low. So as said before, Dansac have two very small sizes which I was happy enough with until I had to change to a deep convex. The other I've used are Coloplast, again a small bag. In fact, am still using them. I use a 2 piece system. Hope this helps a little but as I don't know too much of your stoma history this is the best I can say. Gee07