Is My Stoma Site Infected?

Replies
Views
j.schroman77
Sep 22, 2024 3:15 am

Some of the skin next to my stoma is hard, red, and feverish; a Google search suggests that it is an infection. Does anyone have any experience with this type of skin problem?

warrior
Sep 22, 2024 3:29 am

Hi, the skin around my stoma is the same color as the stoma—a red color surrounding it, like a moat around a castle.

It appears inflamed because of the color, yet it doesn't hurt or feel warm. I'm thinking it's irritated, possibly by the appliance I use. I've heard many stories about this occurring.

Allergic reactions are very common with our members.

Do you have an ostomy nurse? When can you see your PCP?

Is there pain? Are there torn open sores?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 37,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Beachboy
Sep 22, 2024 3:52 am

Post a picture if possible.

If the condition persists, see a doctor right away.

w30bob
Sep 22, 2024 9:15 am

Hi j,

Without a pic, it's hard to say what's going on, and I'm not sure what you mean by "feverish." Normally, red skin adjacent to your stoma is caused by an irritant or allergy, not an infection. Is the red area warm to the touch, and is there any discharge from that area? Shoot a pic over to your stoma nurse, which, if you don't have one... get one. You'll probably be needing them at some point in the future anyway, so go make your contacts now. If that's just not possible right now, then post a pic and we'll take a shot at figuring out what's going on.

;O)

warrior
Sep 22, 2024 12:12 pm
Reply to w30bob

Well, bro... you know Google. It knows your medical history, diet, appliance type, etc. NOT! 🤦‍♂️ So, of course, it's a correct diagnostic tool. 😆

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play
MizNola
Sep 22, 2024 5:31 pm

You need this seen to by a wound care nurse or similar. In the meantime a barrier cream would help. Or if the skin really does break down and start weeping or bleeding stoma powder could be used.