Living with Intestinal TB: Post-Surgery Experiences and Questions

Replies
Views
Atom009
Apr 15, 2016 4:58 pm

Hello @Every1,

First of all, I thank you for your time reading my post and would really appreciate if you reply to it. 

Medical History : (intestinal tuberculosis obstruction) 3 feet of my small intestine was resected and a temporary ileostomy was created and take down was done this year 2016 Jan.

Problem: I can feel the movement of my intestine especially on my right abdomen which I am assuming that the stolls are storing for a while before entering to my large intestine, it swell for 5-10 secs and then it enter gently. IS THIS NORMAL ???

Problem: I can hear water sound when I shake my belly. IS THIS NORMAL ???

HOW MUCH TIME IT WILL TAKE FOR MY DIGESTIVE SYSTEM TO FUNCTION NORMALLY LIKE BEFORE ????? 

Bill
Apr 17, 2016 6:52 am

Hello Atom009.

Thanks for your post as it gives us a chance to share the everyday stuff. I did not have the same reasons for having a stoma as you but I have had the same sort of movements and sounds that you describe for years. You are probably right about the movements being due to stools and the peristalsis effect when the muscles are pushing it through. Sometimes the greatest pain comes from wind in the pipes  because if and when it passes the pain dissipates. I believe this is quite normal (for me!) So too with the watery sound. I put it down to the fact that before we had parts of the colon taken away it would have all fitted snuggly together as nature intended. However, once a proportion of it is absent ther will be a void into which the rest of the intestines can flop about. I like to get to knpw what is happening as best I can, so over the years I've prodded and poked, massaged and manipulated just to see what happens. There are certain areas where I can get the watery sound to happen every time I massage in a particular direction so I no longer concern myself about whether there might be something wrong. The other thing that occured to me was that before the ostomy I never really focussed attention on my stomach and any gurglings or pains I simply dismissed as probably something I ate. Once I had an ostomy  I began being much more interested in the minute things that were happening to me on a daily basis in that region. Because my attention was focussed on it for the first time, everything I experienced 'seemed' to be new.  I now suspect that many of these things were happening before but I simply had not noticed them or dismissed them without a second thought.

We are all different in the way we experience and cope with things in or lives, so please take my comments as just a process of sharing rather than offering any advice.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Atom009
Apr 18, 2016 2:47 pm

Thank you Bill for your time and your valuable reply.