Experiencing Prolapse with an Ileostomy: Insights Needed

Replies
Views
Tangleloft 06
Dec 21, 2022 12:32 am

I was wondering if anyone would comment on getting a prolapse with an ileostomy?

About 3 years ago, I had a hernia and prolapse repair. I was doing okay and had a smallish size stoma. It turned out I had to use a light convex wafer/barrier.

I changed everything yesterday and saw what I believe is a prolapse. A week ago when I changed, everything looked good and normal for me.

I cannot think of why I would have developed a prolapse. Does anyone have any insight into this? I have had my ileostomy since 2013 for the second time. I had ileostomy #1 in 2004 for a couple of years.

Does anyone think one would be more susceptible to an obstruction with having a prolapse?

Thanks to everyone!!

Elaine

Bill
Dec 21, 2022 7:25 am

Hello Elaine.

Thanks for a question which is not often asked.
With most things 'ostomy', there will be a variety of reasons for this sort of thing happening, or at least a variety of speculations depending upon who you ask.
I would guess that prolapses might be caused by a weakness at the point of connection between the colon and the skin. Unfortunately, this is almost inevitable with this type of surgery, so an alternative way of looking at it would be that those who don't get a prolapse or a hernia are simply 'fortunate'.

Obstructions are a different matter. They can happen to anyone at anytime, but my feeling is that a prolapse is not likely to make much difference.
There are so many other things that are more likely to cause an obstruction and these would probably need investigating first in a priority list. Diet and mastication of food would be at the top of my list; A close second would be to examine the effects of whatever medication is being used, as some of these can cause constipation; Sometimes the problem is caused by a malfunction of the peristalsis and there are drugs to help relieve these symptoms. However, blockages are things that should be discussed with a medic to try to pinpoint the possible causes so that they may be avoided in future.

I hope you get lots of replies to your question and find solutions to your problems soon.

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

gentlejohn
Dec 22, 2022 5:00 pm

Discuss this with a colon and rectal surgeon. It is easy to fix a prolapse.