Hello

Replies
Views
shawng
Jan 01, 2012 7:36 am
I was diagnosed with Crohns disease in 1994, and it progressively got worse until I had multiple fistulas going from my colon to my bladder (yuck) and abscesses in my lower abdominal area. They ultimately had to take out my whole colon and rectum to save my life in the summer of 2000. The next year of my life was awful the abscesses came back, the always was poorly constructed and didn't work properly, and my bladder was seriously messed up from the fistulas and the trauma of surgeries.

In the summer of 2001 (why does this always have to ruin my summers), I had to have another life saving surgery that took some of my small bowel and created a better constructed Ileostomy, and this caused me to stay in the hospital for seven months with no food and a steady diet of TPN (total parenteral nutrition). I ultimately ran out of short term disability and lost my job, I had to go on state insurance and social security to keep my car (which I was loaning out to friends while I was in the hospital) and apartment that I wasn't living in and couldn't sublet. I remember watching the horrible events of September 11th, 2001 from my hospital bed weeping my eyes out for those people in those towers and thinking I was lucky to be alive. I had really been feeling sorry for myself up to this point, and something like that can really put things in perspective and make you change your outlook on life.

My last few months in the hospital I had one final surgery, had my morphine pump removed (I now know what it is like to be a junkie going through withdrawals after being on a morphine pump for 5 months), and ate my first meal (even hospital food tastes good if you haven't eaten for 6 months). By New Year's eve 2002 I was out of the hospital on my way to a partial recovery. My friends took me out to eat lobster and steak at a nice restaurant, and I didn't have to worry about what I was going to eat, because the Crohns had been completely cut out of my body at this point. My New Year's resolution was to appreciate everything I had, maintain a positive outlook, and try to see the good in everything.

I got my job back by June, and I was back to the daily grind. I payed off a lot of my debts from that time, and got my credit back in order. Both of my parents are dead, and my brother lives out of state, so I did not have a lot of family support during this time, but I have the most supportive friends who were by my side this whole time, and I couldn't have done it without them, both financially and emotionally.

Right now, I live alone with a cat in my apartment, still thankful for every second I have on this earth. My friends are still there for emotional support. The Ileostomy is working good, and there have been no Crohns issues for years. My only problem now that I am still seeing doctors for is bladder damage that has caused incontinence. We are working out a surgical plan for this now, but I am a very unusual case, and they are trying to put together a plan of attack, because they can only go in once to fix it, so it needs to go perfectly.

Socially, it has been really hard for me with this Ileostomy to meet new people especially potential dates. I always feel like I am hiding something from them which causes me to have anxiety, and when I do tell them I worry that it is a turn off. Needless to say, I have taken myself out of the dating pool over the last couple of years to reduce this stress. I am still thankful for every day, but I am worried that I will die alone, and this frightens me.

Past Member
Jan 01, 2012 5:10 pm
Hello and welcome,.I really think your very couragous person having gone through so much,as a crohns suffer my self i know what it was like. Sorry to hear that your bladder has suffered through all of this,i hope they can rectify and put it right for you. I hope you find the friendship and answers on the site ,everyone here are so helpful. We are all mostly in the same boat on here unless it a tempory situation and then reversal come into it.. As far as friendship or relationship, here is the best place to be ,i have made a lot of interesting and good people here . Hope you find what your looking for be it friend or something more.. tc ambies..
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Pinky
Jan 02, 2012 1:52 am
Hi ShawnG - I read your blog closely because I am also having problems with fistulas between my colon/rectum and bladder. I don't have Chrohn's, so my problem is probably related to radiation therapy damage. It took almost 2 years before a urologist finally figured it out. Now I am waiting for my regular surgeon to return from holiday and advise me. The urologist mentioned repairing these fistulas will mean a huge operation - not too happy with that idea after nearly 10 years of procedures! I hope you will keep us updated about your progress. :)
Primeboy
Jan 03, 2012 4:38 am
Just keep that 2002 New Year's resolution, and keep on thanking God that your head is screwed on correctly and that you are blessed with caring friends. Forget about hiding anything. Just radiate perspective and courage, and watch out! Nothing but the best is heading your way.
JRP
Jan 10, 2012 6:54 am
Hello ShawnG, I too have Crohn's Disease. There is not one chance that it can be reversed. I am still learning to cope with that fact. I wish you good luck and good health. Hang in there!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister

Play