Hey 2011, don't let the door slam against you on your way out...

Replies
Views
narrator
Jan 12, 2012 9:17 pm
It has been about 10 months since I have spent any time on this site. Why? Well, 2011 was that kind of a year. Nearly 10 months ago my mom passed away. We also bought a house, and my mother-in-law was so sick for a while we thought we would lose her also. Then I lost my job of 15 years. Let's see: a death and a serious illness in the family, buying a house and losing your job - aren't those four events high on the top ten list of stress causers in life?

But everything is relative. My mother was 81 years old and her quality of life had been poor for a few years. My mother-in-law recovered her strength and is doing well now. The house we bought is in Florida and we are now spending the winter in it far away from the ravages of New England weather. And as for my job - at least my wife is still working (for the same company!) so I am on her health insurance plan now. I also received a fairly generous severance package. Many people just get the heave-ho. So things could definitely be worse.

I am thinking about all this because of the New Year and our hopes that it will be better than 2011. Beyond the events that mark each year, it occurs to me that 2012 marks my 25th year with an ileostomy. Not only would I not be alive without that surgery, but if I look back any number of years and think about tragic or even disappointing events in my life, none of them involve my ostomy. Oh, there are the occasional partial blockages I have to wait out in spasms of pain, or the even less frequent messy accidents of varying degree, but those register low on what my former fellow employees used to call the HEF Meter (Head Explosion Factor).

Besides, it is 70 degrees here today and snowing back in Maine, and the first copy of my Kindle book The Little Dirt just sold last weekend. And I see that Amazon has improved their sales rankings reports so that I now know that someone in Nashville, Tennessee bought a paper copy of my ostomy novel, Caught Holding the Bag, right at the end of 2011. Signs and portents. Hello 2012.

sherrybear
Jan 14, 2012 11:39 pm
im so glad things are going good for u now.I know how hard it is losing some one i lost my husband 14 years ago but it seems only yesterday,but i do still have my mother she just turn 87 on the 26 of DEC. and she is well. Now i did not know about your book,but i hope to find it ,is it in stores or just KINDLE, I hope not for I have a NOOK,see just my luck. Well Narrator let me know please.hello 2012 also.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

narrator
Jan 15, 2012 2:42 am
Thank you, Sherrybear - or is it just Sherry after you've had your first cup of coffee? : )My mother lived a hard life between growing up during the Depression and battling Schizophrenia her adult life. she was difficult for us kids, but she was the most unselfish person I have known and I will miss her. I feel fortunate I was able to take my Mom with us on a trip once to Niagara Falls. She had never been west of Boston before that, I think.In ways of course, losing a spouse is even harder, so my heart goes out to you. As for my books, the ostomy novel is a paperback on Amazon and the other one is on Kindle, though it can also be downloaded for a Nook I believe on Smashwords.com. But I only have a Kindle so I am not sure about that.Thanks for responding... feel free to send a message sometimes if you want to chat.