Hernia Issues with an Ostomy - Clothing Tips Needed

Replies
Views
SheriAngel6751
Jun 06, 2018 1:33 am

Does anyone else have a hernia with their ostomy?  I am very self-consious about it.  It's so hard to find clothes.  Especially in the summr months.  Any suggestions?

Past Member
Jun 06, 2018 1:57 am

two pairs of spandex shorts one pair of tite fitting bike 🚲 shorts keep my serjical hernia up in me and make me feel better .hope you have a good day jerz 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Bill
Jun 06, 2018 5:49 am

Hello SheriAngle6751. Hernias are very common with ostomates and their has been lots of correspondence about them in the past. ( see Premium Content)  Most of us use some sort of stoma support and, like most things stoma related, we have to experiment to see which device suits us best. I use the CUI stoma belts because they are easily adjustable and they will make them to my specifications if necessary. The ones I designed were no better than the off-the-shelf ones, so I reverted back to them and added a  more substantial belt over the top. I have a variety of hernia belts which I wear on different occasions (depending on what I am about to do) One of the best ones is primarily designed as a back brace but it is very effective as a hernia belt as well. Unfortunately, it is made of neoprene and gets quite warm and sweaty to wear so I only wear that when I am going to do anything strenuous. The extra belt I wear daily is, in fact, one that was designed to keep patients secure in their wheelchairs! I find that this is just the right width for me and it can be worn directly over my hernia belt or over my outer clothing which adds to the flexibiltiy of use. However, it has no flexibility, and can sometimes become uncomfortable after prolonged wearing, then I just move it slightly and get a few more hours wear without it becoming too uncomfortable. I have to remove it after a meal because it becomes too tight.  

I hope this has been helpful to you,

Best wishes

Bill

EAM
Jun 10, 2018 12:29 am

Stealth belt  makes a hernia support belt. I have ordered one but have not yet recieved it. I do have one of their classic stealth belts and am very impressed with the quality and attention to detail. You can call them and discuss your needs, they are very helpful.

sassie
Jun 29, 2018 1:16 am

if you have access to a ostomy clinic, they will measure you and make a hernia belt for you and Dr. said ins. will pay for it.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play