Reacuring Hernias

Replies
Views
rythamoflove
May 20, 2012 2:34 pm
I've had my stoma for abourt ten years ago. It was done for crohns, whick at's worse not being able to make it to the toilet which was extrmely embarrins and period's of pain. In the last 7 years i've had three hernia ops, which were unsucessful.Now my sugeon wants to move the stoma site to the other side of my tummy and try and repair the hernia once again. The hernia is very big and is noticable under clothing, i just make a joke of it 6 months now,i just knew who the fatther was! Any way i was hoping someone is going through this or knows someone is. I'm quite anxious and only have a month to surgery June.

Any advice would be great. you support each other which is great and i'm always learnig more about being an ostomate.rythamolove(Jeff)Many Thanks

b 4 life
May 22, 2012 11:48 am
Hi Jeff i had a hernia for ten years befor they would opperate becouse i was overwieght it was huge my whole stomach and intestines were pushed throgh the right of my stomer It made me very misserbal.anyway i had it repaired april 2011 with key hole surgery and a epydraral the op should of been done in 4 hours but took 9 hours becouse of size ihad my stomer moved to the left side and had the henia repaired with mesh and staples and had my colon removed .i was supposed to have a heria belt after op but didnt get it for 4 days after and it wasnt very good. too days after the op were the hernia was it started to fill with fluid which is quite commen it sweeled to the same size as my hernia and took three months berore they drained it nearly 2 litres .But about two months ago i got a nother hernia above my new stomer .ive just got my self two comfizz heria belt on persciption to help the matter .i would recomend to keep your wieght down and get a deccent hernia belt .if you have a certian question plz ask KEV
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 36,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

mooza
May 23, 2012 1:40 pm
Just had 2 Hernias fixed FEB 2012 . And Im still not sure if they are fixed , thinking had operation in FEB27th till only last week i need to seek some advise as too know id i should still have burning i did hurt my abdo on Last weekend and its been tender or its still healing i cant seem to really be 100% sure if the hernia mesh has helped so i should try and find out i guess :D ...........Yes i would get it fixed again but too many ops arnt always the best answer Im actually not a bigger person but did put weight on very rapidly with some nerve damage meds....Side effect i didnt want to read as it worked for 6 months but stopped good luck matey .MOOZA :D
rythamoflove
May 23, 2012 6:05 pm
Thanks b4 life for your message it really sounds you've had a tough time of it . I was never told to wear a hernia belt or given much information on the three times I've had the repair op. It sounds like I need to really consider if I should go through with it. You said you've noticed another hernia by your stoma site have you been told if it's likely where your old stoma was there's a chance it could come back. If you need any advice or have any questions just ask.Again many thanks Jeff
rythamoflove
May 23, 2012 6:05 pm
Thanks MOOZA:D sounds like you've had a tough time.too as b4life. Like you said having more ops isn't always the best option, but I will have to have good think as to go ahead wiith the op. You make sure you take it easy as it's still early days since you've had your op. If your worried make sure you see the doctor. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Many thanks Jeff

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister

Play
b 4 life
May 23, 2012 8:25 pm
hi jeff for the ten years i had my first hernia i wasnt told or even heard of a hernia belt but 4 days after the op i was told to were the belt 247 4 3 months i think if i had it striaght after the op it might of stoped the erea filling with fluid. where my old stoma and hernia was i have a four inch scare and i can feel the tissue were it has been stapled but the surgen said there was no chance i would get a hernia back in that area.i havant had my new hernia looked at yet. but i think if i had the belt i have now i might not of got the hernia and the type of work im in and being large hasnt helped the matter.i havent be given much info about my stoma or hernia from the docs ive learnt more from ostomates and searhing the net .my hernia was so big im glad i went throgh with the op. i wish you all the best.kev
mooza
May 23, 2012 11:52 pm
In still not wearing a hernai belt i cant stand then esp for havign Ileostomy i think i need to loose a bit more weight though aND DEFINATLEY SHOULD BE EXAMINED AGAIN OOPS SORRY BOUT THE CAPITAL LETTERS IM NOT ANGRY lol ....GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :D my hernia was xtra lage and on my stoma side the other side was on the old stoma site i dont see a flat belly thats for sure xxxx
sherrybear
May 27, 2012 8:51 pm
Hi Jeff, just to let u know I'm on my 31 hernia operstion, I will be having in June 20. At Cleveland Clinic. I have had 36 op. my hernina;s come back for I had cancer in 1980 radition treatments and that rut me. it destroyed my tissues and other, things. I know exactly what u are going through. I wish u all the luck in the world. I will have 3 doctors in or with me for one is a plastic surgeron he is going to give me like a tummy tuck, so they can have tissues and skin to work with. I have had 7 meshes in at once and also they all deceased and all had to be removed and replaced, but the doctor put in pig skin, and found out that it thins out to fast, and that is what it did, so now back to the or room for me. P lease pray 5this one after 37 will work and I will have no more trouble. I also mhave a huge one under my stoma and one in the middle of stomach and one on my right side. I can;t wait to see how things will turn out this time. And u don't have to be over weight to get hernina;s. anyone can get them, I have cough, bent over wrong lift and sneezed, so I have had it all. So good luck to everyone.and I hope i get my flat bellie lol..... xxxxxx
mooza
May 28, 2012 8:09 am
GOOD luck sherry my fingers are crossed for you hunny :) mooza xx will be in touch the usual way ok xx :D
poppie
May 28, 2012 10:18 am
i also had a hernia for 4 years around my ileos on my left side fairly large i was still working and playing hockey when one morning woke up with servere pain which was my hernia strangling my bowel and caused 2 holes in my bowel which poisoned my hole body i was in a coma for 21 days nearly died 3 times in hospital for 4 months had to wait 18 months for every thing to settle down went back 10 weeks ago and had stomach recontrution and bowel resection at the moment things are going alright what i am trying to say is get your hernia checked because they can be lift threatening thanks poppy from australia
rythamoflove
May 29, 2012 7:32 pm
Hi everyone thanks for all your messages, they have been so helpful. I've decided to have the op the hernia seems to be getting bigger and I've been in a lot of pain. It does seem once you have a weakness for example around stoma, you are going to be prone to recurring hernias.Just have to make sure I wear a hernia belt after op and make sure I take it easy. Well think of me pre-op next week, then op on the 19 June. Thanks everyone it really helps to know their are others who understand. Take Care Jeffx(rythamoflove)
mooza
May 30, 2012 8:58 pm
Jeff i say GO for it , my extra large hernai was on my left aswell on my stoma.. My old stoma site had a smaller hernia as well i knew i had them 2 years back but was told that they hadnt popped .Boy when they did i was in so much pain and my abdo looked pretty weird ,well pretty horrible and the pain would give me fevers and feel quite sick thats when i thought something is very wrong here and soon found out i had a huge stoma hernia Im thinking i really need some kind of scan to see that everything is still in place xx GO GET EM JEFF XX cheers Mooza x x
b 4 life
May 31, 2012 10:26 am
your feel so much happier when its fixed. plz take extra care jeff good luck.
rythamoflove
Jun 03, 2012 3:25 pm
Thanks everyone!I'll keep you informed!Jeffx
mooza
Jun 05, 2012 2:34 pm
Also jeff dont go falling over dogs in the dark i had a bad fall and both hernias a in a lot of pain almost cr5amping and finding it hard to put one leg in Jeans i Dont think my hernia operation worked mooza xx :( good luvk to all xxxxxxxxxxxxx yep burning too and looks very strange in shape i want it fixed but wont know till junes 7th if im lucky :D mooxa
rythamoflove
Jun 09, 2012 7:52 pm
Hi everyone, had my pre-op last week, all went well. Had lot's tests and saw the Dr who will be at the surgery. One of the nurses I saw couldn't believe how large the hernia was. So all set for the 19th. Been having a lot of pain since pre-op, especially if I cough and lower back pain. Don't know if I should go to A E. ,I don't want to waste their time as it might be I've strained the hernia, and their is not much they can do. I was told I shouldn't take pain control as it can make you constipated and could cause an obstruction of the bowel ,which I've had twice before and was extremely painfull and needed surgery. Has this happened to anyone else.Any way have a great weekend and thanks for your supportJeffx
b 4 life
Jun 16, 2012 5:30 pm
hi jeff hope alls ok good luck buddy :)
rythamoflove
Jun 16, 2012 5:41 pm
Hi thanks Kev, you've been a great support. I'll let you know how it all goes. And I'll make sure I use a hernia belt, as you suggested. Take Care Jeff
rythamoflove
Aug 09, 2012 7:24 pm
Hi everyone hope your well.I'm afraid the surgery did'nt work out,they did the surgery but I got a bad infection and ended up in intestive care,and was on life support,very upsetting for my family and friends.I was well looked after in intensive care and HDU.And as you can see I made it.I've had six operations in the last six weeks.Had part of my bowel removed and new stoma but I will never pass firm movements only loose,so drainable bags. I'm at home now but have an opened wound on my tummy which has to be dressed every day by the district nurse and will need more surgery to close the wound and probably remove all the meshes from previous hernia repairs.But I am positive and so grateful to be alive and realise how precious life is.Take care everyone JEFF